White Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I was thinking of dropping this but noticed a split in it (pic 6012) so I think it will stay up. The split is when the tree bends back to the left in the pics.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6009.JPG
    100_6009.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_6010.JPG
    100_6010.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_6011.JPG
    100_6011.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_6012.JPG
    100_6012.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: smokinj
That thing might be rotten already.

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
Standing dead birch from my younger days up north=punky dead/hollow center and tree falling on top of your saw.
If it had a decent limb to catch a tagline I'd put your old lady to work on the UTV while you cut.

-I don't don't know who gives the "orders" though

Oh no! I would not call her the old lady...... Especially if she were in sight... Really, she and zap are both wonderful people.

No offense to Mrs. Zap implied, I'm assuming shes a willing participant(putting up with him) as the man seems intent on cutting every "not so perfect" tree within eyeshot

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Some people use "the old lady" as a term of endearment, I don't get it......let's call the tree the " the old lady" and let the wind blow her down.

By the looks of it, I wouldnt waste my time unless you dont want it falling on you. I expect most of the wood is already punky. The split introduces even more of an issue in that the split lets the mosture out so that section of the tree may be more solid than the base. I expect at some point windy weather may drop it for you.

We have an ice storm in my area in 1998 and many mature birches were killed or seriously damaged, they are still falling today and are a major hazard in some areas.

TimJ, plain and simple, it's not worth the risk. I have some nice ironwood that needs some attention in that area, with another nice size Cherry that I can work on.

Peakbagger, that ice storm did a lot of damage on the property we bought.

Scotty, I'm with ya on your thinking, I'd rather hook up the trail and travel 37 miles for that Oak scrounge. Just checked the weather, looks like this weekend we will start pushing in some shoulder season wood, looks like the weather will change at the end of next week for a good week.
zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Zap, why wasn't this tree downed before it rotted? You've been slacking off! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zap, I see Colorado is going to get their first good snow high up so that usually signals a change coming to us soon.

Zap, I see Colorado is going to get their first good snow high up so that usually signals a change coming to us soon.​

Denny, you had me at...........SNOW!!

KC

Sav, I heard that on the weather channel, old iskiintoatree will love it! I'll be watching the weather for this area, seems we have some rain coming with some colder temps in about a week or more.

Just put a new door gasket on the pellet stove tonight, looks like the wood stove will be good for another year.

zap

Attachments

• 400x266_09121708_nextweekscenario.jpg
    400x266_09121708_nextweekscenario.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 140
If your getting heavy rain, that means time in the house and pictures of food! Be well

Reactions: zap
WellSeasoned, we will see what we can do. Backwoods?

zap

Zap, I see Colorado is going to get their first good snow high up so that usually signals a change coming to us soon.
Sav, I heard that on the weather channel, old iskiintoatree will love it! I'll be watching the weather for this area, seems we have some rain coming with some colder temps in about a week or more.

Just put a new door gasket on the pellet stove tonight, looks like the wood stove will be good for another year.

zap
Yep, just checked everything out here for the final stove/chimney inspection too. 12 cord of 2 year seasoned hardwoods top covered & ready to go, & about 3 cord of shoulder season stuff as well. Almost can't wait till the first fire. I'm really pretty much over the hot weather for this year. Now if I just find a match. A C

WellSeasoned, we will see what we can do. Backwoods?

zap
Yup, how ya doin? What are u at... 23 cords? I explained the name change a bit in my dusting off the woodstove in another thread.

Yup, how ya doin? What are u at... 23 cords? I explained the name change a bit in my dusting off the woodstove in another thread.
Doing good, not an official count but 23 cord is real close if not more. I saw your post explaining the name change.
AC, the pipes are clean along with the inside so we are ready, we almost had a fire when it was dropping in the high 30's last week. Last year our first fire was 9-15 so we should start later this year.

We have 2 cord of pine with some hemlock mixed in for the shoulder season, just over 3 cord of two year old cherry with .62 of a cord of sugar maple and .62 of a cord of beech just in case it gets cold.;)

Zap, it got pretty warm for a while today but is a bit chilly out there now. Just a spit of rain but more on the way. Low 40's predicted tomorrow night. Maybe you'll get a frost out of this system.

First frost was last night, hoping we don't have to fire the stove for a couple weeks tho...temps are suppose to be 28 tomorrow (thats 82 south of the border)

Crazy weather CageMaster. Frost then heat. But, somewhat typical fall weather.

zap
We're slightly north of lake ontario..looks like we are once again to be in a mild belt with no precipitation. Beautiful weather for us but the woods could surely use some mositure.

Right on Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.