White Rodger Zone Valve Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1 1/4" white rodger zone valve that I am trying to hook to blt controller. I do not think it will work, but before I remove I want to see if anyone had any ideas. I can power the valve fine and have it stay closed however I trying to get it to open is the challenge. I currently have the 1 and 2 terminal hook to the 24" volt power source in the blt and that keeps it closed. Now to open, should terminal 4 on the blt complete the circuit and open the valve? Do I need to send power to the terminal 4 on the zone valve or do I need to close the circuit (which is all I think the blt does (no power).

I have a white Rodgers zone volve and a copy of the tarm 'blt' control box... Ended up adding another relay to get the zone valve to work with the blt.

ETA
I'll get some pics; don't remember exactly how I wired it...
ETA again

As I recall the white Rodger zone valve needs power directly to two terminals and then the other terminals are an end switch. The BLT only applies power when the ZV should be open, so i added a relay for the end switch that gets it signal from the BLT.

Last edited:
Seems like I would wire a relay to the 1 terminal on the cr 2 relay. That terminal powers on when wood heat is on, just not right polarity. I think I can used that along with a relay and the correct polarity from the transformer to get the white rodger to switch on.

Here's what I did... Though I have a STSS EMC control box which I use in place of the BLT. I believe they are very similar. So take this FWIW but it works for me.

24v from the transformer directly to terminals '2-5' and 1on the ZV.
On the STSS/BLT terminal 3 and 4 to energize the added relay
From added relay to terminals 2 and 3 on ZV to close the end switch when the coil is energized

The valve is opened when the end switch is closed.
image.jpg
The Omron ice cube relay on the right is what I added
image.jpg
Terminals 3 and 4 have power when the ZV is supposed to be open.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Is it this model WR zone valve? These are a bit trickier to wire, they need to power open, warp switch, then power close. And the end switch is a bit more complicated to wire.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 8.54.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 8.54.52 PM.png
    8 KB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.