white worm in red oak tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billz

Oct 9, 2008
Fountain Inn SC
I cut down a red oak tree that has been dead for several years. When I started to split it I'm finding white wormy bugs.
Anyone know what they are?

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8,641
Not sure what they are but I think I saw bear Grylls eat one.

Almost ALL of the wood-boring beetle larvae look alike. You would really have to be a 'worm-a-nol-o-gist' to tell them apart. It could be almost anything - powderpost beetle,ALB, or one of another billion varieties of beetles that love to lay their eggs in the bark or pulp-wood of our beloved hardwood trees. Don't worry - you can't really hear them screamin' when you toss 'em in the fire......well, maybe a little screamin'. ;-P
We all have 'em. Unfortunately, they're a part of our wood burning world ,now.

I know what they are, they are bait that's what. When I was younger I used to try all kinda of things for bait and I remember finding a few logs with worms like that next to a stream, the trout hammered those white grubs.

I've seen loads of them under the bark.. The birds love them so I make sure I toss them...

Ray

waz, not sure what they are but we have 'em here too. mainly under the bark and in the sapwood.

Earl

wood-fan-atic said:
Almost ALL of the wood-boring beetle larvae look alike. You would really have to be a 'worm-a-nol-o-gist' to tell them apart. It could be almost anything - powderpost beetle,ALB, or one of another billion varieties of beetles that love to lay their eggs in the bark or pulp-wood of our beloved hardwood trees. Don't worry - you can't really hear them screamin' when you toss 'em in the fire......well, maybe a little screamin'. ;-P

I hope that's not the larvae of a powder post beetle . . . PPBs leave very, very small holes in the wood . . . if that is a PPB I think it would be the Godzilla of the Powder Post Beetle world.

I found the same exact thing in some pin oak I just stacked a few weeks ago. They look like the kinds of grubs you find in the lawn.

Beetle larvae. Count the hairs on it's ass to figure out which type... seriously, that's how to tell which one it is.

If it was C shaped it would have been from a scarab beetle of some sort like a japaneese beetle.

Matt

firefighterjake said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I hope that's not the larvae of a powder post beetle . . . PPBs leave very, very small holes in the wood . . . if that is a PPB I think it would be the Godzilla of the Powder Post Beetle world.

I agree with Jake!

might be Enaphalodes rufulus (red oak borer)
quite common here.
From what I've read and heard carpenter ants use their galleries to infest a tree.

weatherguy said:
Not sure what they are but I think I saw bear Grylls eat one.
+1. lol good eating. i see them a lot underneath the bark of oak

Status
Not open for further replies.