Whitfield-1992 WP2 Advantage111(WH57235)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arctical

Nov 21, 2010
Canada
I have this pellet stove with a one piece glass bay door.
My stove creates a lot of ash buildup around the burn grate(firebox) and soot on the glass door,so much so that I must clean it every day.I use quality pellets,have a good flame and heat output.The flame is lively and yellow and the pellets wiggle.If I don't clean the glass every day,the special cleaner for glass will not remove the black crap that gets baked on the glass.My next plan is to replace all the gaskets for this stove for the door,glass and ashpan.(I believe that I have thoroughly cleaned the stove)I would appreciate any help/advice as I have been struggling with this used stove for two years.Al

Many stoves have issues with the glass getting dirty in short order.

My Whitfield Prodigy II will skunk the glass in a day on low.
I also have an Advantage II and it can run a week and most of the glass will still be clean.

Be sure the "AIR WASH" system is clean.

The top of the glass should have about a 1/16" gap all along the top side that will allow air to wash down over the glass surfaces and keep the crap from skunking up the window.

I have up on the special cleaners long ago.

I use a dampened SOS pad to clean mine, then wipe with a damp rag then a dry one.

Good as new.

You can try a little automotive wax on the inside of the glass to help keep the crap from sticking but, the issue is generally the air wash and how effective it is on the particular stove.

If your pellets are jumping around then the air feed through is good, just check the air wash and thats about all you can do.

My Advantage II will skunk up the side windows partially first,then over time it will get to the center one some.

Snowy

Thanks for the advice.I changed the door gasket and in the process discovered that the previous owner had used silicone under the gasket and the air wash gaps were blocked by the gasket material.
I am also confused by the flames appearance.The flames dance with a yellow/orange color.I have read that it should be a yellow flame only.Should I increase the air flow to get a more yellow flame? Thanks again. Al

arctical said:
.....The flames dance with a yellow/orange color.I have read that it should be a yellow flame only.Should I increase the air flow to get a more yellow flame? Thanks again. Al

No, it sounds fine. Yellow/orange and the pellets "dancin" a little in the bottom of the pot all sound good to me. if your getting good heat, leave it alone.

Also, not necessary to clean window everyday unless you just have to have it really clean (for looks). It won't make the stove run or heat any better.

2 best things I've found to clean glass is either a damp papertowel or rag dipped in a little fine stove ash, or use a damp Magic Eraser.

HEY GANG,
A RELATIVE ( W/ LIMITED RESOURCES) HAS A HOUSE A FEW HUNDRED MILES AWAY IT CAME WITH A VERY EARLY WHITFIELD ADVANTAGE 2- HERES THE PROBLEM... IT SEEMS TO BE CONSUMING A LOT OF PELLETS, I MEAN 3 BAGS IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD ON NEXT TO THE HIGHEST SETTING, SECOND PROBLEM (AND MAYBE IT'S ASSOCIATED WITH THE 1ST) IS THAT IT STARTS TO SMELL SMOKY ON THE LOW SETTING - AND MAYBE EVEN THE NEXT TO LOWEST SETTING,( AND ALSO SOME PELLETS GET BEHIND NEAR THE TOP & SMOLDER- WE GOT THOSE PELLETS OUT & ARE SURE THIS IS NOT THE SOURCE OF THE SMOKE SMELL IN THE HOUSE) NOW FOR SOME BACKGROUND......FIRE DOESNT GO OUT, STOVE IS CLEAN, GREAT DRAFT, NO OBSTRUCTION, STARTS & RUNS FINE ...... I CANT JUST DROP EVERYTHING & GO HELP- WONDERED IF YOU HAVE ANY INSIGHT ? MY WIFE WHO IS FAIRLY MECHANICAL STATED THAT THE OLD STYLE CIRCUIT BOARD IS THE PROBLEM & SHE SAYS THAT THEY BECOME INNACURATE ON THE FEED RATE PARTICULARLY ON THE LOW SETTINGS.... IS SHE BLOWING SMOKE (PUN INTENDED) OR WHAT ? I AWAIT THE WISDOM OF THE AGED.

ALSO- ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE MANUAL FOR THE EARLY ADVANTAGE 2 ? (EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE THE LATER ONE NOT THE EARLY )

Wood heat stoves (Dave) posts here.

A great guy and very helpful. He should be able to get you a download link for the manuals.

Snowy

The smoke smell is likley coming from a leaky vent pipe where it connects to the stove exhaust fan housing.

Also the pipe connections can leak. Use a wrap of high temp aluminized pipe tape on each joint.
Use high temp silicone on the joint where the pipe connects to the stoves fan housing.

A great way to find the leaks is to get a little bit of a smokey fire going then darken the room and use a small LED flashlight and backlight the joints and other areas.

Any smoke will show up real well as nice little blue/white whisps.

Any smoke leaks usually get sucked right into the room air fan and blown out the front vents. This makes finding them tough without using the previously mentioned method.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Snowy

The best thing I've found for keeping the glass somewhat clean is to make certain the air wash doesn't get plugged and you don't burn on low all of the time (turn your stove up periodically it will remove a lot of the crud). I'm experimenting a bit this fall, I used to clean the glass when I did my weekly cleaning. The first cleaning came 23 bags in 26 days and I decided not to clean the glass, well bag 50 is currently burning and yesterday was only the third cleaning (wanted my wife to try her hand at cleaning the stove and the ash pan needed checking) otherwise it would have waited until this coming Thursday. I still haven't cleaned the glass. The glass is cleaner now than it was at the first cleaning as the stove is running hotter.

As long as you have a bit of blue above those burning pellets and no black tipped flames, your flame color will range a bit but primarily be in the yellow/orange range.

This is all a balancing act between getting heat into the room versus up the flue and not gumming up the stove.

Both too fierce a fire (blowtorch) and gumming up the stove results in reduced heat into the room.

I'm also going to put the stove on a thermostat in a bit, I want to get a slightly higher air flow rate convection blower on the stove first.

HEY SNOWY, THANKS FOR THE QUICK & HELPFUL REPLY- I'LL HAVE THEM GET AN LED FLASHLIGHT & TRY THIS, REGARDING THE MANUAL - ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO REACH dAVE ?
THNKS AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.