1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Whitfield 20 control board issue

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by sheetmetaldan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    Not sure if anyone can help me with this but i`ll toss it out there anyway,maybe someone has seen this before. A few weeks ago one of the yellow and red lights have gone out on the control board as can be seen in the photos. I had turned it on then off and back on to prime the auger like the manual states. The stove still works. When I adjust the fan speed I can hear it chage speed for low,med and high. Same thing with the feed rate. I can`t be sure but it feels like it is putting out less heat now. Since I bought it second hand for $500 and control boards for this unit are around $300 I don`t want to put that kind of money into this dinosaur. I have recently done a cleaning even used the leaf blower trick. so I don`t think the heat output is related to a dirty stove issue. 100_2681.JPG 100_2685.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Thats a new one. What happens when you turn it up to 11?
  3. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    Now why didn`t I think of that! ;lol
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    If it works okay otherwise, I'd assume the LED or its driver is bad. They do have a finite life span, albeit a long one. Some do fail early, though. (I'm assuming those are LEDs.)
  5. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Burned out LED. You can adjust the feed rate by opening the lower panel. I had a profile 30. If the board fails it will not allow the stove to work:)
  6. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    I can still make adjustments at the lower panel if I need to. If you notice in my first pic the led that is 3`rd down from the top on the heat setting is out and the led on the blower is out as well in the same spot. I find it hard to believe those 2 led`s died at exactly the same time. This happened when I turned it on and off too quickly that is when the problem first surfaced. Seems like I only wounded my control panel and not delivered the death blow to it. As long as it keeps working I can live with it. I was hoping to get around 3 seasons with it then posibly upgrade.
  7. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    The LED driver failed, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Are you using a Tripp light surge protecto?r (24 bucks @ amazon)