whitfield adv II: heat output rheostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blodgettmike

Jan 23, 2012
CT
Hello- Can anyone tell me where to find a heat output rotary control for my stove? Pre-Lennox Advantage II with simple controls-"heat output" and "blower speed" dials, auger on, and start button. It looks like someone replaced the original heat output with a seven-setting one (I assume there's supposed to be just five?) Setting one runs the fan at a fast speed with no auger feed, 2 seems to run too fast to be called pilot mode, and needs the damper to be open slightly more than the other settings to avoid pile-up. 3-6 runs as I suppose you would expect 2-5 to work with the original rheostat. Seven runs the combustion fan fast, though not as fast as setting one, without auger feed. I wasn't able to get any useful info from a digital multimeter, except that the motor is fine. I haven't tried an analog one yet.

The stove came with the house we recently bought, so I don't know any of the history. It's been thoroughly cleaned.

Thanks for any input.

The control you speak of is part of the control board assembly.

Sounds like someone has been fiddling around with the controls

The exhaust fan runs at near full speed thoughout the entire heat range.

The feeds should be as follows.

The auger on time is the same for all settings @ approx 2 seconds

The low setting will feed then off for 7 seconds
The number 2 setting is off for 5 seconds
The 3 setting is off for 4 seconds
The 4 setting is off for 3 seconds
The 5 setting is off for 2 seconds

The only time I have ever run on the high setting was to prime the auger.

I generally run in the number 1 setting and on some ocasions, like right after a good cleaning, I might run the 2 setting for maybe half an hour.

My room air fan speed setting stays at near full speed. I found a sweet spot that the fan does not whine (caused by the triac and the fan motor being fussy ??)

I never adjust the fan.

I posted a circuit diagram for rewiring these stoves a while ago.

This is a great old stove and unless it has damage to the fire box or other parts of the main structure, its well worth fixing up.

The easiest option would be a new control board.

Wood Heat Stoves has these available

Or you can do as I have and rewire the beast.

Snowy

Thanks Mr Rivers-
I found your schematic; I have to say it's over my head. But I'd like to try replacing the heat output control (someone must have replaced it somewhere along the line) with the correct one. Do you have any info on the right one(five setting)? The stove is working fine, I just think it could be running better. Thanks.

NOTICE
Ms Rivers Yup, SHE

Give it a whirl, no harm in trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.