Whitfield Advantage 2T smell smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Just did my annual cleaning, fired it up and now smell smoke/or exhaust, strong smell from heat tubes, pulled stove out while running to see whats the cause, all connections are tight, i thought last night i had a exhaust fan leak cause i removed the motor for oiling, removed it this morning and cleaned what was left of the fiberglass gasket and used high temp RTV, still smells, just moved it back out again and cant see any smoke with flashlight

Could possibly be the heat tubes on top rusted out causing pinhole leaks?

My wife just came in room and she says it smells, now it's cold here and have to shutdown and use oil heat...GRRRRRR!!

Forgot to add, before cleaning burning this week...no smell!!

i've never seen an Advantage have leaks in the tubes, athough I suppose it could happen. Usually if you smell smoke its the exhaust pipe that has a leak and the distribution blower grabs the smoke and blows it into your room (making it quite challenging to locate the leak). I'd double check the seal of the pipe to the exhaust flange (this is where I usually find the leak). RTV can shrink a bit when it sets. Good luck

Earlier today pulled stove back and sealed pipes and T with RTV, made sure cleanout pan door is sealed properly, can the firebrick make any smell?, i noticed the hole around the drop tube is getting large.
Just came back from grocery shopping and found our boy in the 3 season porch waiting for us, we told him if it smells or the CO dectectors go off to go out there, which the alarms didnt, I came in the house and smell smoke, i'm shutting down again.

I've had this stove for over 10 yrs and never had a problem like this.

Possible major find!!, pulled back stove running and the intake tube has no suction,opened ash drawer and looked inside no blockages.

Please post if you figure this out. The exact same thing happened to me. Right after cleaning this fall stove smells (not really like smoke but a bad smell anyway) and everything seems to be running better than ever. It is so frustrating! I have serviceman coming tomorrow to try and figure it out. I am sure at $120/hour he will find something wrong :(

removed both blowers again and cleaned for the first time in 10 yrs the intake blower, replaced T pipe in rear, i had broken mine trying to loosen it off the exhaust...cheap metal.
Had a new one from a pipe kit i had installed last yr left over, sealed it all up, took firebrick out again and made sure all ducts were clean, reassembled stove and sealed exhaust pipes and cleanout cover, started up last night...no smoke smell!!

Theres a pic of our stove in the cleaning section above, my intake blower was clogged up pretty bad, sure blows out more air out now!!

this is the 4th year running my stove and i have learned as i went...i don't want to sound stupid but...which is the intake blower? I have cleaned the convection blower completely but did not take apart the combustion blower because i was told i would need to replace the gasket.
how do I see the pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.