Whitfield Advantage II-T pellet build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
that's why it building up its not getting the air to burn them fast enough...how is the stove vented? straight out of the wall? out and up? can you do a leaf blower on the pipe and suck it out that way?

that's why it building up its not getting the air to burn them fast enough...how is the stove vented? straight out of the wall? out and up? can you do a leaf blower on the pipe and suck it out that way?

It is straight out the wall and the exhaust pipe is brand new.

I just adjusted the combustion fan again and have it running on 3/5 right now. This is what the flame looks like.

Attachments

• Video.mov
    549.8 KB
I tried adjusting the feed rate and burning a different pellet. The new pellet did not build up but there was a lot of ash. I tried burning the old pellet again and it started building up. I’m kind of at a list of what to do.

have you removed the fire brick to clean in back of the wall. Are the holes open behind it?

The fire in the video isn't a bad looking fire, but still looks like it could use a little more oxygen in it. I'm still of the opinion that the draft fan is either really dirty or could possibly be getting weak. When I turn my pellet feed rate up beyond what I set my draft fan at, my pellets will start building up also. It's a fuel:air ratio issue that's giving you trouble, we just have to figure out where the lack of oxygen is coming from. There shouldn't be any build up of pellets or slag to begin with if it's burning clean. I have a feeling your issue is coming either from your air intake or that draft fan.

Reactions: Ssyko
I have almost the identical problem with my Whitfield Advantage of the same era. Under which of the silver caps is the exhaust blower trim?
Advantage CB.jpg

Reactions: Dirtbiker and Ssyko