Whitfield Advantage insert exhaust issues HELP!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheredugo?

Feb 1, 2014
CT
As most of you know it's been wicked cold through out the northern half of the country and living in CT there has been no exceptions. This is my first post as a new member and I am seeking help as my 15 or so year old Whitfield advantage 2 inserts exhaust T is leaking again. I can't seem to get it to stop leaking... I replaced the clean out T and re silicoln'ed everything about a mint or so ago and two days ago I started to smell smoke in the house but not see it. I checked all the usuals door gasket clean out draw door gasket etc etc I then pulled it out and noticed it was smoking again from the exhaust blower side not sure exactly where. What am I doing wrong ? I've been using red permatex 600 degree on all joints. Is this the cause of my problems ? Do I need a better sealant ? I just don't know if there's a more robust exhaust pipe connector available .... I'm at my wits end and hate waking up to a cold house as my englander on the other end of the house is the only one running right now...... HELP !!!

Some of the forum members have found a high temperature silicone tape that they use on joints. Lights out and get the flash light at the ready to find the source of your leak...

There is also a high temperature aluminum tape available. It is made by 3M and I believe that you can get it here.

You're doing the right thing- silicone. check the tee seams maybe the snout is leaking?? Also the conn to the stove exh housing- do you have the whitfield quick disconnect or directly to the tee pipe connection?? Don't forget the exh blower gasket. Can leak thru that area too. Good luck with it.

Ok I have already used tons of tape even over the top of the 600 degree siliconed tee and any seam that would require a seal of any kind. This was all done about a month ago now it's leaking again :/ I'm going to re deal everything and install the new exhaust gasket. I'll try the Rutland 800 degree latex this time. Any other joints to look at ?

I think before you do all that again you should verify visibly where the smoke is coming out.Could try incense,but hvac candles work better.You also could have a blockage in the rest of your exhaust.You also could have a stove rusted through.Would be less time to verify where instead of guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.