Whitfield Advantage WPII Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatboy

Nov 29, 2010
Southern NH
Hi all.

New to the forum and have been burning a Whitfield Advantage III for many winters with great success. My dad is burning an Advantage WPII and had his several years before I did. Today he called me up and he had shutdown and I suspect it was from a high temperature switch trip. He was running a high feed rate for most of the day and it went out with an empty burnpot but a full hopper. When he went to restart it the lights were cycling between the red and the green LEDS. All 5 Red would blink once in unison and then all 5 green would blink in unison, then back to red, etc. He was able to reset it by unplugging it but is now nervous that he may have a control board issue. before he spends $600 on a new board I told him I would research this a little, and stumbled upon the forum. I tried the search function but could not find what I was looking for and would appreciate any feedback you all might have.

Stay warm!

Welcome to the forum fatboy.

If he had an over fire shutdown he should check his convection blower it could be plugged or failing if it is plugged then a bit of elbow grease might set things right, I don't know if the convection blower on his unit has oil port on the motor but if it does oil according to the manufacturers directions.

If the control board reset and the stove powers up and he has verified his convection blower is still functioning I'd attempt a relight. That should answer the question about the control board.

Blower is working and the stove is relit and running. We are really curious as to what the alternating blinking lights mean and if there is a possibility that the board is close to failure.

Thank you for the welcome and the feedback so far.

fatboy said:
Blower is working and the stove is relit and running. We are really curious as to what the alternating blinking lights mean and if there is a possibility that the board is close to failure.

Thank you for the welcome and the feedback so far.

There are a number of folks that run Whitfields on the forum perhaps one will check in and comment on the lights, I don't have a manual for it. Usually boards will flash a code indicating why it shut down, but most of the shut down codes have multiple causes. I haven't seen a board actually signal its impending doom except on highly sophisticated high RAS mainframe computer systems. Some of those even call their manufacturer to come and perform service work.

Status
Not open for further replies.