Whitfield Avantage ii-T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AWD

Dec 30, 2020
Montreal
I have a 1993 Whitfield Advantage stove. Lots of air leakage from around the hinge area. I have read a post about adding spacers as it does not seem like these hinges are adjustable. I recently replaced the door gasket with 1/2 inch (as there is some discrepancy on if it should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch) but still a good amount of leakage. Is it just the door leaking or is there possibly somthing I am missing? Thanks ... any help would be appreciated. Andrew

Reactions: tbear853
Wish I could help, just was gonna say it was 1992 I was shopping for stoves and come real close to buying Whitfield Advantage, I kinda like them. I know of a few in service even now.

You mention spacers at the hinges, seems to me that would add leaks?

Maybe I'm not reading the issue right.

Some adjustment is necessary in both sides. The hinge bracket should be adjustable. The holes for the three bolts are oval shaped, allowing enough adjustment to make the thinner 1/2 '' rope gasket airtight.
On my Quest Plus the bracket with the roller for the door lock is adjustable in the same way, but with only two bolts.
Your Advantage stove looks different in the locking side. A bit hard to tell how to adjust it from this picture:
is adjustment possible in lock side.jpg
When I changed the door gasket in 2014, I also got confused about the correct thickness, 1/2 '' vs. 5/8 ''.
The manual states 1/2 '', so that was what I bought and prepared to install. But when I had pulled the old gasket, it certainly was thicker!
A little adjustment on the hinge bracket and the roller bracket was all that was needed. It has been perfectly tight ever since.
I hope you will succeed in adjusting the door. Let us know how it works out.