Whitfield II T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shafer14

Oct 16, 2011
Kirkwood, NY
I'm back....have another question....If we have the heat output set at 3, shouldn't it be dropping pellets like almost continually? Sometimes it drops one or two, then like 6 or 7 seconds later it drops a hole bunch and sometimes it builds back up but then sometimes it puts the fire out.

shafer14 said:
I'm back....have another question....If we have the heat output set at 3, shouldn't it be dropping pellets like almost continually? Sometimes it drops one or two, then like 6 or 7 seconds later it drops a hole bunch and sometimes it builds back up but then sometimes it puts the fire out.

Look for a loose coupling or bridging pellets.

shafer14 said:
Smokey......loose coupling? Help!!

Where the auger motor hooks up to the auger, sometimes the set screws come loose an the the auger doesn't always turn with the motor. This will mess up the feed.

Bridging is where long pellets get stuck blocking others from moving, then when the bridge gets broken all kinds of pellets drop, this kind of bridging takes place at the end of the auger, or in the drop chute at the top. Bridging can also take place in the hooper just above the auger, when this happens it doesn't always clear and eventually the stove will shut down due to lack of fuel.

It is also possible for a large amount of fines to cause problems getting pellets up the auger flight. Then there is the possibility that the auger is not maintaining its proper place in the flight, the top bearing is frequently a source of trouble in this case.

Thanks, we will def. get to that auger tomorrow. some of these pellets are really long,,,,, don't want to sound dumb, but can I just buy a new bushing? remember I'm a female and don't know much about these things.lol...

My 1990 whitfield doesn't spit them out at a consistent rate at 3 setting(sometimes 3pellets sometimes 7)
it depends on how they are going through the auger and the size of the pellet.
At the 3 setting, they come every few seconds, not consistent.
If your maintaining a good flame and not to much build up in the burn grate, you should be fine

shafer14 said:
Thanks, we will def. get to that auger tomorrow. some of these pellets are really long,,,,, don't want to sound dumb, but can I just buy a new bushing? remember I'm a female and don't know much about these things.lol...

Yes you can get new bushings if that is the problem. If you have a lot of long pellets in what you have it doesn't hurt to drop the bag on concrete or another hard surface to break them up a bit.

Wert, does your fire burn right down, then have a bed of coals, sometimes it starts back up, or go out? Just makes me nervous that it will go out.

It just did it, it went out, too many pellets dropping, going to check on that auger. Smokey, can I just buy a bushing anywhere or does it have to be from a pellet stove place?

shafer14 said:
It just did it, it went out, too many pellets dropping, going to check on that auger. Smokey, can I just buy a bushing anywhere or does it have to be from a pellet stove place?

If you can get a replacement at other than a stove shop go for it. A lot of stoves sometimes have funny sized items.

It sounds like your pellets are dropping to fast.Auger issues?
try it on 2 setting

shafer14 said:
Wert, does your fire burn right down, then have a bed of coals, sometimes it starts back up, or go out? Just makes me nervous that it will go out.

It does burn down, but the coals are hot enough to re-light the incoming pellet

Check the mechanical parts of your feed system, it should reliably maintain a fire at all feed rates.

If you can, check outside if you are exhausting ok

Status
Not open for further replies.