Whitfield Photo Eye Bypass Surgery! Anyone try this? See pics! It works!

Don2222 Posted By Don2222, Oct 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

1. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

This Whitfield Profile 20 Photo eye was tired and the lens was burned. Since it provides proof of fire, the stove would not stay on once it lit!. This pellet stove would start and smoke but just keep shutting down!
    A new photo eye is $64.95 and needs to be cleaned all the time and then if the lens gets smoke stained and burned again we are backed to square one!

There is a cover on the exhaust blower housing for the 140 Deg F ceramic snap so let's use it and do the "Photo Eye Bypass Surgery" !!

Has anyone else done this bypass surgery on a Profile 20 or Profile 30?

Pic 0 - Shows two yellow wires that go from the control panel to the photo eye in the hopper. That is where we cut!
    Pic 1 - Remove 2 bolts and remove cover
    Pic 2 - New 140 Deg F ceramic snap disc
    Pic 3 - Snap disc installed
    Pic 4 - New 2 conductor stranded 18 Guage wire connected under snap disc screws with wire ties to hold it in a safe place away from the exhaust manifold
    Pic 5 - Close up of new snap disc with wire connected
    Pic 6 - Shows yellow wire coming out of control panel on right side of stove going up to photo eye in hopper
    Pic 7 - Shows new wire from the snap disc connected to the wire going into the control panel. Also shows connectors on the old yellow wire going to the photo eye. In this way the old photo eye can be easily reconnected if you ever want the same problem back again! LOL
    Pic 8 - Stove with fire now keeps running!
    Pic 9 - Nice flame!

Attached Files:

Brian G likes this.
  2. chamas

chamas
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2011
    Loc:
    PNW
    Excellent! Where did you get the ceramic snapdisc? I need one!

3. lucaspolucas

lucaspolucas
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 24, 2015
    Loc:
    Ottawa canada
    looks like an easy enough fix but was running fine before and for so many years, could It be one of the snap disc already there or the photo eye that's defective, as anyone ever had their stove at low and it ran at high etc, I thought the photo eye just stopped everything If there was no flame, I'm a newbie you know at this and would really like to understand everything about this stove, I've read the book 5 times over lol but it's not quite the right book :confused: that happens when you buy used.

4. Bioburner

Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    The eye like I said before seems to be the reason for many maladies. Stovenson can probably shed light on the workings of a photo eye. I was under the impression that sometimes the eye dose not fully close and that starts the issues with partial voltages.

5. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    The function of the eye is too let the power thru to the auger motor when it sees the flame after the stove fires up. If there is no ignition or the eye's lens is dirty or if the eye breaks then the stove does out!

6. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    NW Oregon
    I am seeing a lot of RUST
    Were is all the rust coming from ??? was the stove left sitting in the weather ???

7. Bioburner

Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    Probably was a basement dweller or garage zombie:(

8. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    Yes alot of rust but I do not know the history of this stove. It is in a dry spot now so it should be good for quite a few more years.

9. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I have also used a 120 Deg F Ceramic Snap Disc which works very well and the heat will come out a little longer when the stove shuts down.
    Also if there is no cover and hole in the exhaust housing, then spaces can be used for mounting.

10. MButkus

MButkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Jersey
    The photo eye is the same type used in oil furnaces, they can be had for a few bucks, $6 on Amazon or on line Part C554A, Honeywell 130367
    I am assuming the electric eye is a low voltage line ? ?
    So the stove has this hole already ? A snap switch just closes (shorts) the wire once above 140 degrees. This would be a nice fix as many have this problem with this type of stove. Why they went to the electric eye in a stove that make soot, don't know.

11. MButkus

MButkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Jersey
    This model works different. The other Whitfields run 120V (?) through this snap switch to the controller to keep the stove in RUN mode after the 25 min timer to get the stove above 140 degrees. The Profile (for some reason) started to use an electric eye for "proof of fire" to stay in RUN mode. Can't believe it's that simple to remove that troublesome eye.

There are a few different variations, mostly temp and price. Seeing them for $16. Just as long as they seal that hole, that is exhaust gas. I don't see a gasket for any of them.

12. ericofmaine

ericofmaine
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern Maine
    It really is that simple. I got mine at Grainger and believe it did come with the gasket.

Eric

13. 3650

Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 8, 2011
    Loc:
    midwest
    So if the fkame goes out and your not around the hopper gets emptied into the burn chanber? What if it then re ignited? Lottsa heat? Lol

14. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    That should not happen

15. MButkus

MButkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Jersey
    These don't have auto ignite, you have to press START to have the igniter go on. After the fire burns out, the snap switch opens, the controller turns off.