Whitfield photo eye problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
On my Whitfield Profile 30, there is apparently suppose to be a piece of glass in front of the photo eye that needs to be cleaned periodically. I removed the photo eye itself, and the lens is clean. But I could not find another piece of glass in front of it to clean.

Apparently the photo eye is my problem because when I remove it from the chute and shine a light on it, the stove runs great. So something must be obstructing the view of the flame. My photo eye is still located under the hopper. Apparently there is a kit that allows you to relocate them.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!

I think if yours is mounted behind the firewall (as opposed to in the hopper) that it has to look through a little "knife" slot. Sometimes you can get some ash/sawdust around the slot obscuring the eye's vision. It also has to be looking directly into the slot, and its not hard to have it in a bit crooked.

Thanks. Anyone know a good way to clean out that slot that the photo eye looks down into?

Status
Not open for further replies.