Whitfield Profile 20 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Upstate NY
Hello,
I have a unique problem, my cleaner or scraper that clears my heat tubes is detached from the pull handle.

It is still on the scraper but it must have broken its weld, how would you go about getting in there to reattach?

Thx in advance
Cliff

Thats going to be a real !@#$% as the point of attatchment is between the tubes.

With the fire out and after a good vacuuming, I would say to look up in there and see if you can see where it attaches and if there is any room to work.

If there is room in there, there may be a couple ways to fix the thing.

The stove is going to have to come out, the front casting (door) removed and the stove turned upside down.
This will give you access to the scrapper plate.

The pull rod goes between two of the heat tubes and into the plate.

With the stove clean and the plate slid all the way to the front of the stove, block the plate so it can't move.

Now carefully drill through the pull rod hole and into the spot in the plate where the rod originally attached.
The objective is to get a clean 1/4 inch hole where the rod was originally located.

If there is weld on the plate, you will have to carefully grind this off with a long nosed Die grinder to give a flat place on the plate to drill.

Once you can drill the plate, make sure you drill it righ in line with the hole in the stoves front panel.

Now a piece of 1/4" thread will need to be welded onto the original rod.
Make the piece of thread rod about 1 inch long.

Cut 1 inch off the rod to allow for this new piece.

If you dont have a welder, take your rod to a wleding shop and have them weld the thread rod onto the pull rod for you.
It needs to be straight.

Now thread on a 1/4 inch nut onto the thread to make sure it will do so easily.

Insert the rod back into the stove, install the nut onto the thread and run it down enough to allow the thread to extend throgh the plate

Install the other nut and tighten.

DONE

The area in there is tight, but after looking at my whitfield, I think its workable

The scrappers are made up prior to the stoves heat exchanger being assembled and they never intended this to be a service part.

Its likely not going to be workable to weld up in there.

If you do try and reweld the thing, remove the circuit board (controller) from the stove to avoid any possible electric "flux field" that could arrise from welding.

The motors will be fine, just hook the ground to the scrapper plate.

Good luck and keep us posted

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.