Whitfield Profile 30 Pellet Stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chanlon1974

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2008
CT
I have a Whitfield Profile 30 pellet stove that I bought 3 years ago. It has worked fine up until now. It just started shutting itself down after running for about an hour. I have read posts here saying it could be anything from the photo eye to the high temp switch. I replaced the high temp switch today and that did not solve the problem. I talked to one of my local dealers who will not service it because I did not buy it directly from them, but were kind enough to give me some direction on how to fix it. One tech said that when Lennox took over the quality went down the tubes and they should have never started using the photo eye system. My photo eye is located in the hopper. He told me to take off the back of the stove and cut the yellow wires leading to the photo eye and go out and purchase a low temp switch ( which I guess the older models had before the photo eye). He told me to take those wires and attach them to the low temp switch and all my problems would be solved. Id like to get some opinions before I go doing this. Any help or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks
Chris

I routinely maintain a Whitfield Quest for my father. The low temp sensor has died on it twice, and it exhibits the same symptoms as yours does. In order to troubleshoot it I connect the low limit switch wires together. When this is done the stove fans run constantly, but the shutdown problem goes away. Luckily the low limit switch only shuts down the stove when the stove is cold, so the safety ramifications are minimal when jumping this.

I would suspect that jumping the photo eye would do the samething for you.

so I guess my options are to buy a new photo cell for $126 or try what the tech told me and cut the wires and put in a low temp switch for $30. Im just apprehensive about cutting wires and hoping it solves my problem.

chanlon1974 said:
so I guess my options are to buy a new photo cell for $126 or try what the tech told me and cut the wires and put in a low temp switch for $30. Im just apprehensive about cutting wires and hoping it solves my problem.

Don't cut the wires, try connecting them together to see your problem goes away first. The photo cell can be purchased for much less from other sources. There was a post on this forum back in Sept. I believe metioning a site to purchase ignitors and photo eye's for cheap.

Ok...I will connect them together and see. If you come across that link for photo eyes let me know. I will try and search for it now. Thanks for your help.

I'll search as well, good luck.

chanlon1974 said:
awesome...thanks.

Anytime, it's what we do here. Just trying to make sure we're all warm this winter ;-)

wow..just went on digikeys website. Im gonna have to call them. Not sure on which product it would be. Im sure they would have to cross reference it or something.

chanlon1974 said:
wow..just went on digikeys website. Im gonna have to call them. Not sure on which product it would be. Im sure they would have to cross reference it or something.

Your existing photo eye should have some sort of part/model # on it to cross reference. You could also try to PM the person that listed the info for more assistance. They probably already have the new part #.

just pulled the model #s off the photo eye. Honeywell part # 130367 for the cad cell and part# C554A for the flame detector. Building HVAC.com has both parts, $12.25 and $13.86. Two parts $26.11. + $10.20 shipping. Local dealers want $130. I can not get over the mark up. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.