Whitfield Profile 30 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
My Whitfield Profile 30 insert is having trouble with a constant pellet feed. Sometimes (like today) it will burn correctly and feed the pellets at regular intervals. But mostly, it is feeding the pellets at an inconsistent rate, causing it to shut down and go into fault mode. Here is what I have tried so far: 1) Cleaned stove thoroughly - including exhaust and hopper bin, 2) Adjusted damper settings, 3) Replaced photo eye, 4) Took auger motor off and greased it, 5) Checked to make sure high pressure tap switch wasn't malfunctioning or shutting down stove, 6) Checked to make sure door seal was still tight.

The closest repair place I could find is an hour away. I burn Lignetics too so I don't think pellet quality is a question.

Any thoughts?

Flem said:
My Whitfield Profile 30 insert is having trouble with a constant pellet feed. Sometimes (like today) it will burn correctly and feed the pellets at regular intervals. But mostly, it is feeding the pellets at an inconsistent rate, causing it to shut down and go into fault mode. Here is what I have tried so far: 1) Cleaned stove thoroughly - including exhaust and hopper bin, 2) Adjusted damper settings, 3) Replaced photo eye, 4) Took auger motor off and greased it, 5) Checked to make sure high pressure tap switch wasn't malfunctioning or shutting down stove, 6) Checked to make sure door seal was still tight.

The closest repair place I could find is an hour away. I burn Lignetics too so I don't think pellet quality is a question.

Any thoughts?

The quality of the pellets shouldn't be an issue, but pellet length may be. You may have bridging going on in the auger tube. Have you timed the auger function; how many seconds on/off to make sure it's operating correctly?

I will try that according to the specs in the owner's manual. Have never had this problem with Lignetics in the years I have been burning them. I'll take a look at the pellets to see if some of them appear longer than normal. Thank you!

Also, it seems like the auger motor runs consistently at times, then will have a delay for a period of time. I can hear it turning to drop the pellets.

Flem said:
Also, it seems like the auger motor runs consistently at times, then will have a delay for a period of time. I can hear it turning to drop the pellets.

The auger shaft isn't slipping because of a loose set screw is it? Sometimes that'll act like inconsistent feeding because the motor and the auger no longer are securely connected together.

Shouldn't be. I did check to make sure the set screw was good and tight. I was reading earlier about the auger motors than sit slanted getting a worn "spacer" or washer. Not sure exactly what to look for in that case.

Thanks for your reply!

Flem said:
Shouldn't be. I did check to make sure the set screw was good and tight. I was reading earlier about the auger motors than sit slanted getting a worn "spacer" or washer. Not sure exactly what to look for in that case.

Thanks for your reply!

I have replaced 3 in the past few weeks that the augermotor gear box was hanging up on one spot and not turning every time power was given to it.
each time the customers complaint was the stove was not burning consistantly or hotter and or going out sometimes.
on each one after a few service I watched the auger motor and waited for it to hang.

Yes it definitely does get hung up sometimes. I have watched it turn for a while then eventually get hung up. The confusing part to me if why it doesn't get hung up all the time. Also, the stove will be running fine, then all of a sudden the convection fan will shut off totally, even with a fire going. Fire will then go out and the stove will fault.

Flem said:
Yes it definitely does get hung up sometimes. I have watched it turn for a while then eventually get hung up. The confusing part to me if why it doesn't get hung up all the time. Also, the stove will be running fine, then all of a sudden the convection fan will shut off totally, even with a fire going. Fire will then go out and the stove will fault.

my guess is a bad spot on one of the many gears in the gear box
other that that IMO the PRO 30 is nothing but a problem child
the person who designed it was high on something

Hard to convince me that the stove is nothing but problems. First time in 8 years it has given me trouble.

"Also, the stove will be running fine, then all of a sudden the convection fan will shut off totally, even with a fire going."

This sounds like a thermal protection device on the blower motor, if the motor has bearings that allow oiling, I'd give each oil port two drops of the proper oil and then work it in by turning the fan in both directions until it spins easily. If the motor gets a lot of resistance trying to turn the fan due to a dry bearing it will eventually overheat. After the fan cuts out the stove can overheat and the high temperature safety will go off stopping the fuel feed. The stove then shuts down due to lack of fuel. Some of the high temperature sensors auto reset, some don't.

Not aware if this can be done, but will surely pull the stove out and check. Thanks for your response!

SmokeyTheBear said:
"Also, the stove will be running fine, then all of a sudden the convection fan will shut off totally, even with a fire going."

This sounds like a thermal protection device on the blower motor, if the motor has bearings that allow oiling, I'd give each oil port two drops of the proper oil and then work it in by turning the fan in both directions until it spins easily. If the motor gets a lot of resistance trying to turn the fan due to a dry bearing it will eventually overheat. After the fan cuts out the stove can overheat and the high temperature safety will go off stopping the fuel feed. The stove then shuts down due to lack of fuel. Some of the high temperature sensors auto reset, some don't.
That stove has 250 deg AUTO reset RED LABEL switch

hearthtools said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

That stove has 250 deg AUTO reset RED LABEL switch

Thanks Rod I just happened to know that some stoves auto reset and some don't, mine doesn't (third convection blower is now in the stove along with a mod that places the blower a lot further away from the firebox, it shouldn't "boil" the oil off anywhere near as fast as it was).

Which means a convection blower failure doesn't lead to a noticeable over fire indication since the stove will cool down but you won't be aware of the issue unless you happened to notice the sequence that lead to the shutdown. The manual reset limit switches at least leave a trail even if you aren't there.

Thanks! Been two days since I replaced the photo eye. Stove seems to be running better and has only shut off once.

Status
Not open for further replies.