Whitfield Quest Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XCR583

Nov 29, 2010
Slippery Rock, PA
New poster to this site. When I got my house, the owners left a Whitfield Quest Pellet Stove. They hardly used the thing. Well Ive been using it for 5 years now. Last year had to have the air up all the way and pellet speed on its lowest setting. Paid a guy to come and fix it. Well he cleaned some stuff (I wasnt here unfortunately) and it seemed to be buring good when he left. Well that lasted a day or two maybe and it was right back to the way it was. SO I am in the process if tearing it apart. Took off the blower motor on the right side revealing the air damper valve. Some build up there. Cleaned that and took off the assembly where the air damper valve is and got to the back side of the wall. There is a small square opening. Got a tooth brush wedged in there and cleaned what I could. Tapped the front of the wall with a hammer. My question is on the front side, Ive taken the brick out. I was going to see whats involved in getting to the heat exchanger tubes, I broke the one of the two bolts holding the plate thats below the tubes. Do I need to be cleaning something under the tubes/in the exchanger tubes? Ive tried to read as much as I can but havent been able to find a lot on the Quest models. Any help would be appreciated!!!

not sure about that but on my lopi i have metal plates on the sides and one on top that all fit around the outside of the burn area of the stove kind of like a puzzle. check and see if you have all the pieces taken out of the inside of the stove burning area. i wouldnt think you would have to unbolt anything. sounds like maybee when the guy cleaned it some loose debri got left and jamed itself up somewhere in the sove. just trace how the air comes in from the blower fan until it gets to the stove area. sometimes the air moves through some areas inside the stove before it get to the pellet catch burner. just double check between the bloser and catch burner first for debis. also make sure your stove is good and sealed. if you have an air leak it will not burn good. check the door to make sure it seals tight. also if you have an ash dumb tray check that to make sure it is sealed up good from where it pulls out. last check to see if you have any type of ash catch around your exhaust tube. if it is full might be causing problem.

What year is your Quest? My first pellet stove was a 1996 Quest. I swear it never worked right from the beginning. The pellets would always build up in the grate even with the combustion air on max and the pellet feed on minimum.

If you take the circuit board off, there is a screw on the back of it for controlling the pellet feed. I turned it down quite a bit but that still did not help much.

Finally, after 12 years, I ended up giving the stove away.

I also own a Whitfield Insert Advantage Plus purchased in 1998. What is funny is that this stove acts in the exact opposite fashion of the Quest. I have so much combustion air that I have the damper completely closed and the trim screw of combustion air turned down 1/4 of the way.

Good luck in figuring it out....I never could.

The thing worked great when we first moved here. I will look into it more tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!! If anyone else has any insight, the help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.