Whitfield T300 exhaust question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnL48

Feb 21, 2014
NJ
Where are the exhaust baffles (passage) on the Whitfield T300 ? are they the square holes up by the heat tubes? and if so how do you clean them ?

Thanks,
John

Hey John,

Sorry I can't help you on your Whit issue, but a suggestion is to amend your thread post title to include your stove brand and model in it, ie "Whitfield T300 exhaust question" or something to that effect, then it will better catch the eye of forum folks who have that model, who can often best help you.

30 - 50 or more new posts each day makes it tough to open them all to read ! That is also a good problem, as it's a testament to the readership level on this fine forum.

This response will bump you back up in the que - good luck!

I'm new to the forum and have the same stove. I've located the exhaust ports, which are near the heat exchange tubes and I've cleaned them with a long bristle brush, but I still feel like there's more I need to clean. Do I need to take the back cover off of the unit and clean anything in there? i.e. exhaust fans, air intact, etc? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how to do so?

Thanks!

Jordan

WOW a T300P! SO handsome, so classic.Yes, you do need to take the back cover off and clean everything you can see.The motors may also have little oil ports you're supposed to adda drop to occasionally as well. An unraveled wire coat hanger works pretty well to get into the channels, and between the tubes. If you can, in the off season, drag it outside (I know, not an easy task) and used compressed air all over that bad boy.
That stove became the Whitfield Traditions T300P, the manual for that might give you a good reference for cleaning.

Thanks for the reply Delta-T! We really enjoy it. It was my wife's grandfathers for ever and he wanted us to have it when he passed, so it has a lot of sentimental value. One thing about it, is I have to clean the glass, grate and vacuum out the ash about every 2 bags of pellets or so. If not, it gets sooted up pretty bad and the burned pellets clog up the grate. I've played with the damper a lot on the bottom, and have a nice yellow flame that "dances" around well. Is this normal?

My buddy has one that he only has to clean about every month or so. I'm not sure of the make, but it holds 3 bags of pellets. Mine only holds one. This isn't a big deal, but cleaning it every few days kind of sucks... I feel like something is clogged, but then again, this may just be the nature of the beast.

I'm burning Fiber Energy Products wood pellets. 100% hardwood. Package says Ash is less than 1%, Fines less than 0.5% and Sodium is less than 300ppm.