whitfield warranty? or time to get a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpodolski

Hearth Supporter
Aug 5, 2007
The house I bought 4 years ago came with a whitfield profile 30 stove...and to be honest its getting to be a total pain...does anyone know what the warranty is? The website says its 20 years but on what.

here is the list of problems with this P.O.S.

1. the scraper broke.(beleive it or not)..how do you get to it...if i could figure it out i'd just weld it back together

2. the fire eye went at the end of last season so I ended up bypassing it ..

any ideas if i should just get a harmon or a quardra fire? (the house has electric heat otherwise)

thanks in advance

Hi marc, welcome.

I'd ditch it for a modern unit. Both Quadrafire and Harman are good brands. Each have their strengths. I found the Quad particularly easy to work with and maintain. It was on a digital thermostat and worked just like a little furnace. But a lot of people have Harmans and are very happy with them. Go with the one that fits your needs best.

A lot of info and links for this stuff at Hearthtools site.
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm
also check:
http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_pellet_stove.htm

I would doubt that any real warranty is in force after 4 years. These are usually prorated...and you would need to find the age, etc. - then it is a matter of how well the new Whitfield stands behind the older warranties...Lennox now owns Whitfield.

Your experience reminds me of the first Whitfields I sold in the early 90's. One customer was an elderly Belgian woman with a thick accent. After she bought the stove, she got mad at it for some minor problems. Then she came in to see me and said "I'm from Belgium - we Belgians are some of the worlds foremost metal workers...and we KNOW metal. This stove is NOT designed or built to last".

I have to admit that after taking apart some of those early models, I had to agree with her! We stopped carrying them soon after.
Disclaimer: This was in the very early days of Whitfield, and I have no idea of the improvements made since!

just a quickie on the warranty , likely there would be none as the unit was conveyed to you with the house, most warrantees are only to the initial owner (i may be wrong , but i do imagine there would not be a warranty conveyed).

stoveguy2esw said:
just a quickie on the warranty , likely there would be none as the unit was conveyed to you with the house, most warrantees are only to the initial owner (i may be wrong , but i do imagine there would not be a warranty conveyed).

Yeah, but if the seller sold the house with one of those third party major appliance warranties...

Scraper rod is under warranty. Photoeye was only under warranty for two years. As for "modern unit" that was one of the last production models for Whitfield produced until last year. And quite honestly you have an Edsel.

the owner put it in just before we bought the house (oct 2002) because we told him there was no way I would buy a house that only had electric heat. It worked ok but the thing always rattled or hummed...I remember the first time I saw a harman in actio i couldn't believe it. I like the feature of the new quadrafire model but I hate the looks. I am looking for a more modern style like the harman advanced or along that line. could anyone suggest other brands that are reliable and less clunky?

Quad 1200 I is pretty modern looking. Lopi & Avalon fairly modern. Enviro has a modern looking model too.

will there be a problem adapting another brand "3 in is 3 in" to fit the exhaust location?...looks like haman are 7 in up and the whitfield about 12 inches up?

Webmaster said:
A lot of info and links for this stuff at Hearthtools site.
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm
also check:
http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_pellet_stove.htm

I would doubt that any real warranty is in force after 4 years. These are usually prorated...and you would need to find the age, etc. - then it is a matter of how well the new Whitfield stands behind the older warranties...Lennox now owns Whitfield.

Your experience reminds me of the first Whitfields I sold in the early 90's. One customer was an elderly Belgian woman with a thick accent. After she bought the stove, she got mad at it for some minor problems. Then she came in to see me and said "I'm from Belgium - we Belgians are some of the worlds foremost metal workers...and we KNOW metal. This stove is NOT designed or built to last".

I have to admit that after taking apart some of those early models, I had to agree with her! We stopped carrying them soon after.
Disclaimer: This was in the very early days of Whitfield, and I have no idea of the improvements made since!

The profile 30 does NOT use a Low limit switch for Prof of fire is uses that Dumb Photo Eye.
and with the way the control board is I dont think you can change it over to limit switch.
My best advice is to Get a new stove
Enviro Empress, Meridian
r if you can wait the new Enviro Multi Fueled Omega Rocken 60k BTU with the self cleaning Burn pot that you can burn the Crapiest pellet and still not clean the stove for over a month. I seen the stove burning at factory 3% ash Bark pellets.
(i got my wife talked into replacing ours with one)
http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/freestanding-fireplace.html#Omega

the Larger Avalon or Lopi
Harmon

marc4fishing said:
will there be a problem adapting another brand "3 in is 3 in" to fit the exhaust location?...looks like haman are 7 in up and the whitfield about 12 inches up?
It would be better to adapt a lower pipe to a higher pipe as you want the exhaust to have as little resistance as possible, and flow upward.
anyone know the height of the quads and others.

stoveguy2esw said:

Harman warrantees are transferrable!

That is true the original owner is the one who gets the warranty coverage. Harman is the only company I know of that allows transfer of warranty. There are probably others too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.