Whitfield WP2 Advantage Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

6782Gman

Sep 15, 2007
I got one of these stoves with my cottage when I purchased it. It works great. The controls for the stove are a blower speed rheostat - Min to Max, and a Heat Output 5 position rotary switch (1-5) I would like to reduce the time the auger is on for each switch setting on the heat output switch. Once the cottage is saturated, a setting of one on the switch can be two hot. I never go above 3 as the burn basket fills to much to fast. I did notice on the control panel, that there are three small chrome plugs and if you remove them, I can see potentiometer adjustments. Does anyone know what they adjust? I don't have a manual for this stove and don't want to blindly adj them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

I have tried accessing the forum there but it comes up "Sorry the page your looking for can't be accessed"

Gary

Yeah I tried that too before the link, that's why I think you should PM him first before using his site to contact him. It might be a perk to being a member of hearth.com.... I don't know...
Look up at the top of this screen
click on member list
go to page 2 find "hearthtools"

edit>>>>>>
click on his name
then click the PM button and ask your question
Good luck...

Well I jumped back into this thread and decided to look up your manual for you...
It's good to have a manual for your stove..... I suggest you print this out and keep in a safe place...
Click on this link and it will bring you to the manual.

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/Advantage Plus S.N.101201-up.pdf

page 8 (on adobe page 7 per the manual) will show you what those pots do and what the factory setpoints are set at...
I'd still wait to hear what Rod or others say about adjusting these.

Thanks, I already looked at this manual but the control panel is different. My stove is a Advantage, not an Advantage Plus. I thin there in lies the difference. If the three pots on mine are the same function as the Plus, there shouldn't really be any issue with adj them. I am still trying PM Hearth.com but I am new to the forum and they put an hour restriction on PM to avoid spam. I will PM him now.

Thanks
Gary

I sent you a PM to your PM before I seen this thead
Can you do a favor and Copy and paste my reply here for others to see.

Rod

6782Gman said:
I have tried accessing the forum there but it comes up "Sorry the page your looking for can't be accessed"

Gary
Was there a 404 error on my site?

Here is the post From Rod regarding my post.

The Pots
Adjust the Combustion blower and Auger Setting on the Low setting.
This is to adjust the trim for Size and quality of pellets.
Sometimes with Longer pellets it is a good idea to adjust the feed rate up so the pellets dont under feed and the stove will go out on LOW.

Best to leave the Pots at the 12 o’clock position.
The auger trim you can reduce it to about 9 O’clock to get a little lower settting but you take a chance of the stove going out because the fuel burns up to quick or a load of pellets will smother out the fire if the fire is to low.

If you are getting to much heat with a pellet might be time to switch it to a small gas stove.

I was on the forum andwas told that you were the man to ask this question of:

I got one of these stoves with my cottage when I purchased it. It works great. The controls for the stove are a blower speed rheostat - Min to Max, and a Heat Output 5 position rotary switch (1-5) I would like to reduce the time the auger is on for each switch setting on the heat output switch. Once the cottage is saturated, a setting of one on the switch can be two hot. I never go above 3 as the burn basket fills to much to fast. I did notice on the control panel, that there are three small chrome plugs and if you remove them, I can see potentiometer adjustments. Does anyone know what they adjust? I don’t have a manual for this stove and don’t want to blindly adj them.

Gary

Hi Rod,

There are three pots vertically. You only mentioned functions for two. Which adj would be for what pot starting from the top down.

I think the low feed adj is what I am looking for. I don't think it needs a major adj to acheive what I need, just a small tweek.

Thanks
Gary

6782Gman said:
Here is the post From Rod regarding my post.

The Pots
Adjust the Combustion blower and Auger Setting on the Low setting.
This is to adjust the trim for Size and quality of pellets.
Sometimes with Longer pellets it is a good idea to adjust the feed rate up so the pellets dont under feed and the stove will go out on LOW.

Best to leave the Pots at the 12 o’clock position.
The auger trim you can reduce it to about 9 O’clock to get a little lower settting but you take a chance of the stove going out because the fuel burns up to quick or a load of pellets will smother out the fire if the fire is to low.

If you are getting to much heat with a pellet might be time to switch it to a small gas stove.

I was on the forum andwas told that you were the man to ask this question of:

I got one of these stoves with my cottage when I purchased it. It works great. The controls for the stove are a blower speed rheostat - Min to Max, and a Heat Output 5 position rotary switch (1-5) I would like to reduce the time the auger is on for each switch setting on the heat output switch. Once the cottage is saturated, a setting of one on the switch can be two hot. I never go above 3 as the burn basket fills to much to fast. I did notice on the control panel, that there are three small chrome plugs and if you remove them, I can see potentiometer adjustments. Does anyone know what they adjust? I don’t have a manual for this stove and don’t want to blindly adj them.

Gary
You might get better Low feed results if you upgrade to the Digital Pushbutton control panel. (same as the Adv Plus) and an ultra Grate burn pot.
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/replacement_parts_for__advantage.htm

But if you are getting to much heat even on low and It was my guest house I would switch to a small gas unit.

6782Gman said:
Hi Rod,

There are three pots vertically. You only mentioned functions for two. Which adj would be for what pot starting from the top down.

I think the low feed adj is what I am looking for. I don't think it needs a major adj to acheive what I need, just a small tweek.

Thanks
Gary
Im not sure without lookin at one
but on the back side of the board it is marked. (UNPLUG the stove before you look)
Combustion
Auger
Convection

Did it have it labeled on the back?

Hi Rod,

I rememberd to bring my digital camera with me this time. Here are the pics ofthe front and back of the board. If you can tell, please let me know which pot is of what.

Much appreciated.

Gary

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 653
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 655
I have not worked on a stove with that OLD board in a long time
I thought they were marked.

Best way to tell is to connect a Meter to one of the blowers and see what pot lowers the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.