Who’d have thunk it: Wood stoves are not made for over night burns.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is on a laptop.
Yes, you are right. The Reply icon will quote the full posting. You can delete unwanted parts or...
When the desired text is selected, you should see an in-context item like this. You can click on the reply there and it will include the poster's name.
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 4.47.35 PM.png

Note that I generally only work from a laptop. Hope that helps.

I got nothing, but I did pickup my new favorite word .... " netiquette".

;)

• Love
Reactions: St. Coemgen
He’s pretty well insulated but too many big windows facing a wide open Northern exposure. I’ll get him there eventually.
That's our dilemma too. Maybe add some insulated curtains or cellular blinds for nighttime use?

Reactions: Todd
I got nothing, but I did pickup my new favorite word .... " netiquette".

;)
Folks to the north of you don't agree. That's why it's called Con-netiquette.::-)

(Ducking out of the room quickly)

Reactions: gthomas785
Impeach this tool also.... How he leads anything is a joke.

So some of the responses about smoke on this thread raised my curiosity and I went into information mode. I didn't realize that in the catalytic stoves, the smoke and gases off the smoldering wood is the actual fuel that the catalyst processes. One source noted, that's why the long burn times. Those stoves can work with little to almost no air or flame while their burn tube counterparts rely on more air and flame to achieve a clean burn. In either case, once both are up and running, no smoke or smell makes it out the chimney. Is this all accurate?

Those stoves can work with little to almost no air or flame while their burn tube counterparts rely on more air and flame to achieve a clean burn. In either case, once both are up and running, no smoke or smell makes it out the chimney. Is this all accurate?
Close, but there still is an odor.

Reactions: stoveliker
Close, but there still is an odor.

But odor only in the sense of the odor of the wood species itself right?

Dumb question. If cat stoves work off of well seasoned wood, where is all this supposed smoke coming from? Just never giving it enough air in the first place?

Dumb question. If cat stoves work off of well seasoned wood, where is all this supposed smoke coming from? Just never giving it enough air in the first place?
When the wood is heated up, if off-gases volatiles, many are combined with particulates which we see as smoke. During the heating-up phase, the bypass is open and smoke is visible.

My 2 cents I left on the Youtube page:

You're generalizing all wood burning stoves is doing a disservice. It is absolutely possible to burn through the night, 12 hours to 24 hours sometimes more, in stoves & inserts made to do just that. It depends on the stove you're using. And this can be done with consistent 1/3 of a coffee can of fine fly ash to a very fine coffee ground like ash or less at clean out at the end of each season. Instead if using typical fear tactics, why not advise about the importance of the acceptable moisture content of wood being burnt, to avoid creosote build up. Even using a moisture meter and how to split and check a fresh split at room temperature?The differences of old "smoke dragons" and new/newer EPA approved stoves that are much more efficient, and use much less wood to achieve the same heating capabilities, as long as the wood is down to 20% or lower moisture level. There are thousands in the western states whom only have fir , pine etc. to burn, and get overnight heating from their stoves, with very little build up of ash, and no detrimental creosote build up. This ain't the 1920s. It's about the wood, the stove & the operator/operation, that determines whether is it safe, or a creosote fire in the waiting. A stove burnt nearly if not 24/7, van be far less susceptible to creosote build up and chimney fires, than say a weekend burner with subpar wood. Most that burn 24/7 for heat, some as their only source of heat, if properly educated, have no issued of creosote at all. All falls again on, the wood, the stove & the operator/operation.

Here's another gem.... This is a professional and President of a Chimney Sweep Association. JFC
I wonder how he suggests slowing draft on a 40' high stack?

Here's another gem.... This is a professional and President of a Chimney Sweep Association. JFC
I wonder how he suggests slowing draft on a 40' high stack?

He was vp of csia not sure what he is now I stopped paying attention to them soon after that

Oh damn. I’ve been doing things all wrong for years! I guess my clean glass every morning has been misleading. I load my stove at 8pm and have coals and clean glass at 6am for the morning reload. Actual dry wood is amazing.

Reactions: stoveliker
I’ve posted this before but this one is pretty good. My professional qualifications are that I own a soot-eater and have cleaned my chimney myself about 6 times - but even I could spot 12 terrible things he’s doing here.

I’ve posted this before but this one is pretty good. My professional qualifications are that I own a soot-eater and have cleaned my chimney myself about 6 times - but even I could spot 12 terrible things he’s doing here.

Yes I have seen that and it's completely rediculous

He was vp of csia not sure what he is now I stopped paying attention to them soon after that
Still is according to their website. This guy is employment insurance for H.com

employment insurance - for an unpaid job... :eek:

Some serious roll eyes here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:;hm

It's amazing to see the freestanding stove installed without a proper block-off plate. Of course, there is a lot of heat going up the flue, duh! Instead, he puts an expensive exterior flapper on and not a rain-tight one either. The owner will be wondering why all that rust is happening in their new stove in 3.2.1... And we are wondering why the liner was not insulated.

At the risk of a hearth .com slap fight. I think the 2 videos are speaking to the vast majority of casual to somewhat avid wood fuel consumers who most likely are not as much a zealot as the regulars in this social media wood stove pro league.

The vast majority of wood fuel users ....IMO, do not spend alot of time on a site of professionals like this one...
Lol

Reactions: St. Coemgen
At the risk of a hearth .com slap fight. I think the 2 videos are speaking to the vast majority of casual to somewhat avid wood fuel consumers who most likely are not as much a zealot as the regulars in this social media wood stove pro league.

The vast majority of wood fuel users ....IMO, do not spend alot of time on a site of professionals like this one...
Lol
It absolutely is geared towards casual burners. Which is why it's so much more important to give accurate and much more complete advice. Yes of course any stove needs enough air to maintain proper temps. But to much air can be just as bad as to little. And saying stoves can't burn overnight safely is just absurd.

By the way there are actually very few chimney professionals that are regular contributors here. Me being one of them.

I still agree with some advice when I was brand new to wood that I got from a nearby stove shop. For overnight, fill stove up. Put air to mostly open. Let wood catch for maybe 20 minutes. Throttle air down to fully closed.
With some minor variations, that has worked well with my two different 2 cu/ft stoves.