Who has experience with tractor tire chains? Little help here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With what you have (industrial tires) ANY chain will be a major improvement.

I built a double-row rack to try moving wood with the forks on the front, aiming for close to a half cord (dry). I've got a 1/4 mile drive from the stacking area to the house and I wasn't happy with all that weight out there off the front, so I didn't build more racks. Forks on the front are very handy. I think forks on the rear with the hydraulic top link would be a nice addition. I also looked into building a 3-pt box for carrying wood and using the hydraulic top link as a way to dump. But I'm moving too much wood too far, so I gave up on those ideas.

I've never bought a set of chains for any tires.....I've made all of mine for next to nothing. It's not too hard to do. you need some chain, a seamstress measuring tape, a grinder with a cut-off wheel, and a mig or stick welder.

I've built several sets for next to nothing.......and they didn't need any more than a bungee cord to tension them, they fit like a glove.....

Have you considered making your own set? You could even weld some rebar cleats on them to give you more traction in the woods and mud......

My Dad ran both turf and ags and has told me a few times that the turfs work much better on ice/thin snow than the ags. Kinda the same as a mud terrain on a truck is a horrible winter tire. Big blocks of rubber have little bite.

I've got chains on the rear of my Massey Ferguson 1010 because I needed the traction to clear snow from my driveway.

But I've got turf tires, If I had the ag treads I might not need them.

had a groan of time until I got some cheap chain tensioners at TSC ( about $14).

i have almost bought chains before for my compact new holland. i have a steep gravel driveway and really have only 'needed' them twice in 10years. guess that is why i havent pulled the trigger on them yet. would chains help out much in loose gravel much?

i have almost bought chains before for my compact new holland. i have a steep gravel driveway and really have only 'needed' them twice in 10years. guess that is why i havent pulled the trigger on them yet. would chains help out much in loose gravel much?

I believe they would. The snow gets compacted down on gravel driveways and turns icy. Chains will make a big difference, along with some more weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.