who has the best program for adding humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hugehuggo

Dec 17, 2005
The best program I have come up with is running the central furnace with humidifier on high. Problem is, insert is working so well, I can't get the furnace to come on except for a few minutes in the morning.

Whatta ya'll do to keep ya nose from dryin out.

We have a whole house humidifer that we have in our hallway upstairs. It helps alot. I would say we put about 5 gallons in it a day. I've seen them for around 100 dollars. If you have a wood stove, I would just put a pan of water on top of it.

Gonna need lots of pans. We have one on the stove. Goes through about 5 qts per day and the interior humidity is still only 34%.

See if your humidifier can be wired so that it runs on 'fan only'

sgc said:
See if your humidifier can be wired so that it runs on 'fan only'

But you'll want to plumb it to a hot water line so it will evaporate better.

Vent your clothes dryer to the inside of your house and cover with a nylon stocking during the winter months. Not only do you get the waste heat generated from the dryer you also get the humidity from the wet clothes.

JBinKC said:
Vent your clothes dryer to the inside of your house and cover with a nylon stocking during the winter months. Not only do you get the waste heat generated from the dryer you also get the humidity from the wet clothes.

What about a GAS/Propane dryer?????????

You should only consider venting a dryer indoors if it is electric...that is unless you are trying to test your CO detector? Buy a humidifier. I have an april aire hooked to the furnace to run with the fan...limited success. You must use a lot of energy to keep heating water if you connect it to a hot water source? Probably better off turning on the furnace at that point? I am just guessing but sounds like a big energy drain? The warm mist table top is better but it needs to have the scale chiseled off every 3 days arround the heating element. I have the kettle on top of my hampton insert and unless the fan is on low it does not add much. Hopefully someone can chime in with a better solution.

Good point about the hot water, that's the recommended way to install, I switch over to fan manually, but usually only when
I can monitor it (btw operatin in fan only mode is not recommended by aprilaire)

Whole house humidifer/747 jet engine in the main living area, run on med or high when not there, low when home if needed. That and a couple of clothes lines strung in front of the stove in the semi finished basement (not too close!) for anything that can be lined dried (blankets, jeans, linens, dries quicker than the gas dryer and alot cheaper!).

JBinKC said:

Ditch the clothes dryer and hang your wet clothes on a rack next to your hot woodstove. You get the humidity and save a bundle on the electricity. Plus, your clothes will be nice and dry within an hour or two.

We have a large humidifier in the living area. Between the steam kettle, clothes drying rack and non venting of the bathroom the humidifier never runs. Humidity stays around 40%.

Isn't there a chance that the humidity will condense where you don't want it to?
I'm sure there's no such thing as a perfect vapor barrier.
What's the latest thinking on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.