1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Who makes a good cat insert other than blaze king

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by etiger2007, Jan 17, 2013.

1. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Just to compile a list who makes an insert with a cat? We all know blaze king does but man they are ugly. I would buy a Woodstock Insert in a heart beat if they had one and priced it right, the wife would be mad if I bought another stove right now but I'd be doing it for her (he he). So if you do have an insert/stove with a cat please tell how many logs go into the stove and how long they burn and what the temp is inside the house on the coldest days, details please.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Buck has the 20,80, & 91 that can be installed as inserts. The 80 & 91 need an 8" flue, 6" for the 20. The 20 is pretty small, nominally 1.9 cu ft. There is also the Kuma Sequoia at 3.6, but again needs an 8" flue. There are also a couple of High Valley models.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all that came to my mind.
    etiger2007 likes this.
  3. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I made a thread looking for cat manufactures back in 2010, here is that thread. http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cat-stove-manufactures.50004/ I'm not sure which ones offer inserts. I always laugh when I read it since I talk about the BK being ugly, it wouldn't get the approval of my wife and I would only own one if it was for my basement.
    ;lol

Needless to say I bought one long before I said I would, it's not in my basement and my wife loves it. Funny how things work out/change. :)
    etiger2007 likes this.
  4. claybe

claybe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Colorado
    Get a Blaze King. You won't be disappointed. Function over form for me, but I dressed her up with the gold door and gold trim. Now she is ready for the prom.
    etiger2007 likes this.
  5. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Don't get me wrong I like my BKK but they need to tighten up on their qc on welds.
    The latch needs work and the t-stat is real lazy.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    The BK insert is far more attractive than the freestander and even though the freestander is not attractive, the bold look will grow on you fast.

It may not be cast iron but the BK insert is about as good looking as any other plate steel insert. What don't you like about it?

If you don't get a BK, you won't get the real long burn times. That is only a BK thing.
    jeff_t and etiger2007 like this.
  7. evilgriff

evilgriff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern New Jersey
    Just got home after a 12hr shift at work, still plenty of red hot coals in my BKS20. Packed it for the night, 10 min later the cat is engaged, and I am headed to bed. Stove will keep the house warm all night. I could give two craps what it looks like. This stove is simple to operate, generates plenty of heat, and just seems to burn forever. Coming from the intrepid II, this stove absolutely amazes me.
    jeff_t and etiger2007 like this.
  8. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Attractive stoves, huh, well.... (from my viewpoint)-
    Blaze Kings are like that farm girl you used to know, the one who could handle whatever you threw at her. At times, she might not rank up there on the "pretty" scale, but at the end of the day, she got her job done. And she didn't groan much, either.
    Just my thought on that.
    evilgriff, jeff_t and etiger2007 like this.
  9. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    LOL