who sharpens chains good?..lets make a deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i recently bought like 12 or 13 chains at a garage sell...they all are the size to fit my stihl 460 magnum...
i would be willing to send these chains to someone...if they would sharpen them for me....and u could keep 3 or 4 chains for the fee of sharpening...

I've seen smokinjays work, have you PMed him about it? Scotty sharpened a couple that came with the PM610 he sold me. That first chain was phenomenal. The second chain was pretty darned good, not as good, but then that was the chain, not the job Scotty did on it.

I can sharpen better than the Stihl dealership here, but that's about all I have to say on my skills.

I made a deal similar with a local sharpening outfit.
I inherited 8 chains.
He sharpened all & kept 3.
Might ask around to some of your saw shops or saw sharpening guys.

Get some references too, the guy who did mine over heated them.
Not a good deal in the end but it had potential & I learned from it.
So now I file my own ;)

Reactions: TreePointer
Or sharpen them yourself one at a time as needed. The trick for me was to get a magnifying visor so I can actually see what I'm doing. Once you take the time to study your results you can do a good job with a file or with a diamond dremel.

Reactions: Nixon
. The trick for me was to get a magnifying visor so I can actually see what I'm doing. Once you take the time to study your results you can do a good job with a file or with a diamond dremel.

Gonna try the visor next time.
Good tip :)

Spend the $300 on a decent grinder and you don't have to worry about trading off chains, waiting for them to get done, etc. The local shop charge $12 a chain. That's about 25 chains to pay off a grinder. I sharpen that many in a couple weeks easily.

Not having a local sharpening shop close enough to be worth the drive, I gave this guy a try. Turnaround was quick, and the price seems right. I'll report back when I actually cut something with it (maybe tomorrow).

yeah please let us know....4.00 isnt bad if he is good

Maybe look into a pferd file guide that does the depth guages ( rakers) at the same time . Its a pretty good tool to learn to sharpen with . Or, get a Timberline if you can spare the bucks . There's also the granberg type filing guide that is well worth looking at . But, at any rate learning to sharpen chain is time well spent .

I have a timber tuff bench grinder. Never used it. Really don't have time to fool with it. And no desire. Would rather spend my spare time cutting instead of sharpening.

I usually just sharpen them every other night. Sit down with a beer and do all the chains that need it. The time it takes me to knock out 6-7 chains is less than driving to the saw shop, dropping them off, going home, and doing the same a few days later when picking them up.

Reactions: webby3650 and Nixon
I Would rather spend my spare time cutting instead of sharpening.
Can't say that I blame you there . Of course ,in my opinion ,the extra 5-10 minutes that I spend while cleaning my saws at the end of the day on sharpening my chains just makes sense to me . But then some folks time is more valuable than mine . :)

I hate to sound critical cause it's not meant that way at all. I spent some time learning to sharpen even though I was busy too. As time went along, I kept changing sharpeners, till I got the big Oregon grinder. Learning curve with each new method, but time well spent. Understanding the angle/edges of a chain, & how they work is pretty easy to learn, & once you have that knowledge sharpening is straight forward. A skill no one can take from me, & it's saved me a lot of time & money over the years. A C

I had been hand filing for more years than most have been around. Then I bought a grinder. A week later I was back to hand filing. I can leave the chain on the bar until it is history and it takes just a few minutes to touch it up before a trip to the woods.

I have to wonder about the eBay guy. Does he send the stuff back COD or is he screwing the Post Office by putting them back in the box and doing a "return to sender"?

Status
Not open for further replies.