Whole House Heating vs Stove Positioning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Hey Folks,

I've been researching on the forum and haven't found anything specific to my query.

So theres a small chance I could be buying a little house that has no heating system installed at the moment. Very small chance really - but the question still needs answering in my head!

I want to move my office in there and would like to heat the place with a pellet stove.

Its 3 stories including the basement and around 1800sq/ft.

Would it make most sense to put a stove center of the basement so heat rises up from the center out or would you put a small stove in the basement and another upstairs to heat the 2 upper floors. There no way I can install ducts so essentially the radiant heat off the stove as well as the blower on the unit will be the only way to distribute the heat (as well as convection obviously).

So where would you put the stove? Oh and the entire structure is block.

It is very hard to get heat from one floor to the next. Small one in basement, and second one on main floor, depending on floor layout, and access to upper floor. kap

1800sq ft small?,a pellet stove is like a space heater, reallyonly good for a few rooms, my living room can be in the low 70's but 15 feet away in my dining room /kitchen it's low 60's, unless you have a open floor plan, I have a 1950's Cape,heat does goe upstairs nicely but you'll have to leave room door's open

2 stoves for sure. I am heating 1500 sq/ft and can't get the heat from my basement to rise so had to place a second stove on my main floor. Yes, some people are lucky and can get a basement stove to work for upper floors, but I would not count on that at all.

Too many variables to say, but from my experience a firm NO a single pellet stove isn't going to heat a 1800 3 story block construction house...unless you live south of the Mason Dixon line...preferably California or the like....especially with the far reaching cold snap we have been having lately!

Reactions: kappel15
I would go with two stoves, one on each level......Maybe even install some propane wall units that are vented out the wall as a back up heat source so when you're away for a bit and unable to operate the pellet stoves you'll at least have heat.

How well is this block structure insulated? The concrete block will absorb a lot of the heat before the air inside warms up. I doubt you will heat the place well being three levels even with a big stove. I would also recommend two stoves like everyone else has mentioned.

You said "used as an office" so you would want it decently warmed up but also heated more in spurts when you are there than around the clock. No existing heat? Does the place have plumbing and water lines?

Reactions: bogieb
One other thought on the back up heat.....Since this is an office and assuming you have the need for A/C, maybe install some of the newer A/C/heat combo units that seem to be all the rage these days. They're mounted outside, usually on a slab of some sort or installed on a knee wall thing on the side of a house. I believe they're affordable and built mostly for preexisting buildings. I think there's several manufacturers now (Mitsubishi, Fuji, etc...)I'm considering these myself as a upgrade for my main residence in a few years.

Depending upon a sh*t ton of factors, they might be ideal for a back up heat and primary A/C....I haven't seen one in action for heating, but the A/C output I've experienced in a few restaurants and businesses seem very good and I believe they're pretty efficient. Such a set up with two good pellet stoves, one on level two, one on three, might just be the ticket....All combined might be pricey though...

One other thought on the back up heat.....Since this is an office and assuming you have the need for A/C, maybe install some of the newer A/C/heat combo units that seem to be all the rage these days. They're mounted outside, usually on a slab of some sort or installed on a knee wall thing on the side of a house. I believe they're affordable and built mostly for preexisting buildings. I think there's several manufacturers now (Mitsubishi, Fuji, etc...)I'm considering these myself as a upgrade for my main residence in a few years.

Depending upon a sh*t ton of factors, they might be ideal for a back up heat and primary A/C....I haven't seen one in action for heating, but the A/C output I've experienced in a few restaurants and businesses seem very good and I believe they're pretty efficient. Such a set up with two good pellet stoves, one on level two, one on three, might just be the ticket....All combined might be pricey though...

They are mini split heat pump systems. I've used them for years and never a problem. I do not have any at my place but have had my HVAC guy install many for use in remodels and additions, etc; The AC is great and the heat is OK like any other heat pump really. Once it gets cold heat pumps are almost useless in my experience like the one I have for my central HVAC system at home. Good for awhile but when it gets bitter outside you pay money for cool heat. That said when my central system goes I may be looking into 2-3 of these mini splits.

They are mini split heat pump systems. I've used them for years and never a problem. I do not have any at my place but have had my HVAC guy install many for use in remodels and additions, etc; The AC is great and the heat is OK like any other heat pump really. Once it gets cold heat pumps are almost useless in my experience like the one I have for my central HVAC system at home. Good for awhile but when it gets bitter outside you pay money for cool heat. That said when my central system goes I may be looking into 2-3 of these mini splits.

Interesting.....I didn't realize they were a heat pump. Good to know as they would not work as backup heat where I live. I assumed they had some sort of heating element in the component of the system installed inside the house. Like a ceramic or metal heat element similar to baseboard electric heaters. Of course they probably wouldn't be very efficient at heating given they'd suck a ton of electricity.

Still, I may look into them in a few years for AC as I'm tired of installing and removing window AC units....Especially when I'm an older fart than I already am.

From experience if this place had a heating system and they took it out. Depending on the system that was installed make sure any holes leading up to atic/roof area are sealed off. The place i was just doing reno's on the previous owner removed the furnace and installed the pellet stove i now have. It would keep the front room warm but would never move the heat down the hall. I thought nothing of it until we got a foot of snow and i noticed their was none on the roof. Sealed up the old chimney hole into attic from furnace and within a hour the whole place was nice and warm.
I would definitely look into a second heat source for now until you get your main heat installed. A few electric heaters with the thermostat set so they will only kick on if one of the stoves kick out. Cheaper than frozen pipes

Thanks for all the input. For the most part it is an open floor plan and it is just a shell right now. Minimal framing and no insulation. We would insulate from the inside with closed cell foam and then drywall. It has minimal plumbing as we're only gonna need 1 toilet/sink but yes of course we need to keep it decently warm inside even when we're not in there.

The contractor suggested sticking with a stove on the main floor which should heat the smaller upstairs. And then supplement the entire operation with baseboard heat. Essentially installing electric baseboard heaters around the perimeter to help out and prevent freezes and then we can bring it up to our desired temperature with the pellet stove on a thermostat. Assuming there is such a thing as a pellet stove thermostat.

Reactions: bags
You dont list your location which impacts being able to answer. it the your low winter temps are over zero its hard to beat minisplits they are 2 to 3 times more efficient than electric baseboard.

Reactions: cecil_archer