Whoops. Did it again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Many know I hurt my back again before Christmas and could not cut or do much at all for a while. I originally was not going to post this but decided to anyway just to show how sometimes things can go sour on you. I had cut a standing dead ash (we have plenty) and had cut up the butt and taken out a couple loads of wood. So then I was cutting on the top, which means I was limbing it. There were not many limbs as this tree was deep in the woods so that the only limbs were way up top. I really like working on these type trees.

Some might also be aware I've had both hips replaced and also 3 back surgeries amongst other problems. The hips mostly don't cause too much of a problem unless I am down on the ground either on hands and knees or laying on the ground. They also can cause some problems when trying to step over limbs. I was cutting and just finished a cut and was going to move sideways for the next cut but my feet wouldn't move. I had not noticed this when I placed my feet there. Anyways, trying to go sideways I lost my balance and ended up falling straight backwards. Yes, the saw was running. No, the saw did me no harm but the fall surely did.

Naturally I was alone so had to get up all by myself and the pain was bad. So the pain in the back was bad and I had to lay there a bit. Getting up with limbs laying all over proved to be quite a task too but I did finally make it. Thankfully I could get to the atv and ride to the house. My ornery wife gladly put things back in the barn for me and I went straight into the house. Yesterday was really a bad day as I could barely move. Today is better but I don't feel like wrestling the saw just yet. Hopefully I can get back to work next week as it really hurts to have this great weather (sunny and 39 today) for wood cutting.

Just want to remind everyone that things can and do happen out there. Cover yourself if you work alone. Never get too far from the truck or atv or whatever you use. It would be a good idea to have a phone or 2-way radio too. I usually take the 2-way but for some odd reason got out of the habit this year. I'll get the habit started again real quick.

Glad you made it back Sav, I always have the phone but we just took the two ways out to charge two days ago.

zp

Good to hear at least you were able to make it back to the house on your own. Sounds like lots of things could have gone a lot worse like the saw running in your hands. Not trying to discount anything as I know from the a lot of the previous posts that you hate it when you can not be out there doing what you like to do. Just saying you are still a blessed man. You are years ahead on wood and your wife was right there again to help out when needed. I'm sure you know all that but I know myself it is nice to be reminded about my blessings in the midst of my difficulties.
I'll be praying you can get back at it soon and you are so right about the phone or radio. I always have my cell in my pocket when I am cutting.
God bless !

Sure don't like hearing about you hurting yourself, Den. One of these days, the Ornery one is going to trade you in for a couple young ones!! That is, as soon as you have about 10 years supply of wood.
99 always gets nervous (concerned) when I go into the woods to make wood. I always tell her where I will be and usually call when I get back into phone service...(which, as you know, doesn't necessarily mean once I hit the blacktop again.)
Hope you feel better and heal quickly-remember now-don't over do it!

Hey - feel better soon and take it slow. Bruce

WOW! I was just getting ready to send you a PM and see how you were feeling. As you said to me "Rest" so follow your advice it worked for me!

fv

Take care ,and heal up soon ! Take this time to make a few extra posts on the art of firewooding ..... I always Enjoy,and learn something from your posts . All the best to You.

Hope you get patched up quickly and glad that things turned out OK.

pen

Good point. Have someone know where you are & when you should be back.
Take some communications if possible.
We don't bounce back as quick as you used to, take a few extra days off. That tree top won't mind waiting.
I bet you have some splitting you can do when you feel better. Needs done & the milk crate hasn't been used for a while The weather is sure nice for splitting:)

sorry to hear obout your back, have you thought about getting a smaller saw for limbing.{ it helps a whole alot.} ,using a chain saw has always hurt may back, its the first power tool my dad tought me how to use when i was 12 { he got tired of me bitchen about splittin an stackin wood in the truck an goes here you go boy and hands me the saw,I quickly learned not to groan anymore} but what im sayin is you may need to get lighter tools to do certon jobs ,to me limbin is harder than buckin cause your holdin the saw out from your body to cut small limbs an tryin to keep the saw from fallin to fast after you cut threw. I hope you heal up soon i have enjoyed reading your post in the past 3 years on this board.

Dennis you need to learn to relax! :lol: Cutting alone is always dangerous, if you want me to come out and tag alone one weekend just let me know! An older busted up guy with a younger busted up guy, we'll make a great pair! :)

Glad nothing serious happened. Falling with a running saw was probably the scariest part.

I've gotten anymore where I don't do anything like that without my phone on me, just in case. I also don't go up on the roof any more unless someone else is home and knows I'm going up. Damn... I really hate not being bulletproof like we were in our 20's.

Know what you mean Dennis ,I had my feet go out from under me last nite carrying a load of wood and went down on my back and ribs in about .0002 of a second. after spending a couple of hours in ER they said they did not think I broke any ribs. They have me on Vicoden,Valium and something else. The good thing is that it only hurts when I move,talk,laugh breath or eat! :)

Gary

Glad to hear your well enough to post. Good advice and a reminder to all, not just the older folks here.

By chance, were you rushing things a bit when it happened ? Almost all my injuries are when I've tried to do things too quick. At 61, I finally learned to slow down and THINK things out first.

Dennis:

I cringed when I read your post. It certainly could have been a lot worse, but pain is pain. I know just how you feel, when the weather is great but it hurts too much to do the things you like. The important think is you have that great wife of yours who knows the drill. Please get better soon - the saw will wait for you as will the weather.

Dennis I'm glad you are OK! This site wouldn't be the same without you. I had stumbled across the post from over a year ago where Gooserider had gotten hurt and began sifting through, looking at all the good wishes and prayers that had been sent out to him. Long story short, we have an amazing family of folks here on the Hearth, and you are one of the Godfathers.....so take it easy, get back into the habit of carrying some sort of communication with you, and if you need help, ask for it!

Dennis, WTH?!
You really don't need this problem. Is it possible to have someone else cut the trees for you, then you buck or just do the splitting? It's difficult letting go of things we used to do so easily, but you've gotta' take care of yourself.
I hope you feel gooder soon.
If nothing else, maybe the PH will show up while you're out of commission and you can do a play-by-play how you run it. :coolsmile:

Good grief Dennis, I'm sure glad that didn't turn out worse, but still..... PM me & I'll bring a 2 or 3 man crew for a day or two, & you & rdust can school us on technique, form, etc. I'd love to learn from someone with your experience & knowledge. At the very least why don't you borrow my 026 when you get healed up a little, it's far lighter than the 290, & will run with it very well. If you like it you can always buy one. These are serious offers BTW. Take care of yourself.

Gary, take it easy & heal up, that hurts, been there, done that, 0 fun. Hang in there fellas. A C

Good to hear you made it back. Hope you get to feeling better.

Maybe after 3 back operations and two hip replacements you shouldn't be all alone in the woods cutting up $50 worth of firewood!

gzecc said:
Maybe after 3 back operations and two hip replacements you shouldn't be all alone in the woods cutting up $50 worth of firewood!

I'm not a big fan of giving up. Hope you are feeling better Dennis! Cheers!

Wow Dennis no wonder you are not cutting ! I am glad you are not missing any limbs after that fall hope you feel better today.

Pete

Pete, I'll probably see you this afternoon sometime.

I want to thank everyone for the well wishes. I'm still hurting but was able to put wood in the stove last night and again this morning. So now I'm sitting here typing and watching it snow. Well, we've also seen about a dozen deer stroll through our back yard and a coon went through too. Wish I'd seen him sooner.

Zap: I'll try to remember to take something with me for communication.

Locust Post: Thank you and yes, this could have been much worse. Sad to say it but I've done this more than one time and I am always aware of where the saw is. I could not just drop the saw this time because of the way the limbs were as may have came back at me and in a flash I can realize that would not feel too good. Yes, I hate it when I can't do what I want to do and yes to the wife. She is a blessing. I do pick on her from time to time but she still has been the best thing in my life and this year we'll celebrate 50 years.

YooperDave: She would certainly be better off trading me but she says she won't do that. Maybe she is just waiting for me to wear out?!

Bruce: Thank you

fireview: I guess we'd make a poor pair right now...

Nixon: Perhaps better than making more posts is for me to learn from the masters.

Pen: Time will heal. lol

Bogydave, I had thought about getting the splitter out and if I can't cut soon I very well may do that. I usually wait until March or April but maybe I'll get a quick start on it this year. Thanks for the email too.

Damnit: Yes, I have thought about a smaller saw for the limbing. Funny that when I bought the saw I wondered about it because it is so small. lol Maybe it is time to think smaller.

rdust: Now that would be funny and if we did that I'd hope nobody would try to film it!

WoodpileOCD: I agree on the roof thing for sure. And it would be nice to have the bodies we had in our 20's and 30's.

Gary_602z: Wow! You make me hurt just reading about it. You'll also be taking a few days off for sure.

hard aground: That is one thing I will not do is to hurry when I'm cutting or splitting wood. You are right in that doing that can cause some bad things to happen.

fire_man: Thanks Tony. Yes, the saw will wait and it is excellent that my wife can sometimes chip in to help. She can not do what she used to but sometimes any help is appreciated. All I wanted to do that afternoon was get in the house and not have to walk very far. If need be, she can even plow snow now! That is, if we ever get enough to plow.

Scotty Overkill: I often think about Goose and really feel for him.

PapaDave: I'm not ready to go that far just yet. Besides, there is a neighbor who has been getting some wood so we usually work together when he is here. He is not too experienced with the saw and I have to fell the trees for him but in return, he loads the wood for me. I think I come out ahead on this one. On the PH, now I sort of wish I had not put it on hold as I could be experimenting with it.

amateur cutter: That is a super offer and I thank you. However, realizing I'm now cutting wood for 2019 or somewhere around there, we really don't have to be cutting. That also is a generous offer on the saw and might be something I would consider. I recall looking at that saw several years ago.

corey21: Thank you.

gzecc: I've been told that by many folks. But in truth, I enjoy cutting and I also enjoy working alone. Not ready to give that up just yet. There are still a few good years in this old body.

NH_Wood: Looks like we think alike in many things.

I hope you feel better, and with time you will. No question that what we do to heat our homes is dangerous work, and you can never be too careful. Definitely a good idea to have help, but if not 2way radios and/or a cell phone should be part of the safety equipment. While reading your post, I had thought how nice it would be to have a cutting partner and wished I could swing on over. My wife helps a lot, but not always which is ok. Everyone be careful. I'll be out tomorrow at my work taking a leaner down. Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.