Who's burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The deer came to check out the campfire tonight. I think this might be the first fire the twins have seen.

photo%25201.JPG
photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25204.JPG

We've had only one small fire so far the night it got below freezing. I doubt we'll have another one for perhaps a couple weeks unless the weather turns sharply colder. I see some 30's heading our way but unless it is really cool all day and then into the low 30's, we usually don't require a fire. We'll have plenty of burning coming up soon.
Hope next week you need a little fire. Can't wait to see you.

What kind of dog is this. It looks very much like my daughters dog.

77834853.jpg

Got her as a rescue, vet says she is a Shiba Inu with some husky mixed in. She definitely shows signs of being each of those. She is 36 pounds.

Reactions: Oldhippie
One small one, just to make sure all the adjustments I made this off-season are good. Everything went great. Going to enjoy this season it looks like. First time being ahead and I like the feeling.

chazcarr Do you find the fan works on the front of the insert like that? I've been thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if it would even run or get any hot air moving that close to the front.

I have had a few small fires so far this year. Just lit one this morning actually.
Woke up to the house being 16::C (61::F). Outside temp is 6::C (43::F) now, with a high of 15::C (59::F)

chazcarr Do you find the fan works on the front of the insert like that? I've been thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if it would even run or get any hot air moving that close to the front.

That fan serves three purposes.

1) When the electricity is out, it keeps my mantle from getting too hot.
2) I usually have the fan and the steamer switched, and I have noticed that the water evaporates faster when the fan is blowing on it.

and 3) and most important, I use the fan as a temperature gauge. I monitor the fire when not home through my security camera system. The rotational speed of the fan lets me know how hot the fire is going and if it is getting out of control.

As far as getting hot air into the room, it does, but not nearly as well as the built in fan. It runs perfectly on the Regency shelf.

For your F2400 I have heard good things about the stirling engine fans and this thing.

That fan serves three purposes.

1) When the electricity is out, it keeps my mantle from getting too hot.
2) I usually have the fan and the steamer switched, and I have noticed that the water evaporates faster when the fan is blowing on it.

and 3) and most important, I use the fan as a temperature gauge. I monitor the fire when not home through my security camera system. The rotational speed of the fan lets me know how hot the fire is going and if it is getting out of control.

As far as getting hot air into the room, it does, but not nearly as well as the built in fan. It runs perfectly on the Regency shelf.

For your F2400 I have heard good things about the stirling engine fans and this thing.

Awesome, I guess I'm getting one then Thanks!

When there is a power outage do you remove the back panel covering the fireplace opening to get more heat drawn out of there?

Wow that large fan would actually be perfect for my F2400 which is in the basement, I'll start searching for a supplier up here.

Awesome, I guess I'm getting one then Thanks!

When there is a power outage do you remove the back panel covering the fireplace opening to get more heat drawn out of there?

Wow that large fan would actually be perfect for my F2400 which is in the basement, I'll start searching for a supplier up here.

No, I have it insulated and taking the cover off is difficult with my mantle

Well gave the Esse a good inside passage , firebox, etc; cleaning... Didn't take long for you know who to find the heat from the first fire of the season... Added four more feet of class A for a total of about 18 feet... Big difference on start up and nicer low steady burns.....plus some nice ghost flames above the fire..
Esse cook stove start up 003.JPG

Had break in fires on Friday Saturday last night and probably tonight.
ya hoping to have my final break in tonight also

It is 1 in the house now, high of 59 today and low of 48.... Will be lighting this afternoon.

Reactions: HDRock
I was going to wait until October... but the Fiance was over tonight and she gets cold easy. I checked outside and It's 2C out there (35F ish I think). and the house was down to 16 (dunno in F) because I left the bathroom and kitchen window open all day.

So I started up my first wee fire of the season.

IMG-20130923-00021.jpg

Just three small splits in after getting the kindling going, but she really liked it. (criss cross because it was more for looks than efficiency)

If it was up to me I'd hold out, but sometimes it's just not up to me...

Reactions: chazcarr
Will hold out to November. Will hold out till November. Will hold out till November.

Yeah right. Who am I trying to kid... :confused:
Oh yes I say that every year but it never fails I always end up having fires in September. As I type this right now stove is cool down from a 4 large split fire. Doubt I'm going to reload, was going to bed but with an overnight paving job going on outside my front door:mad: I think I'll just say here and see if I can learn something new as I do almost every time I'm on here

Heck you want the joint 90 degrees anyway. :eek:

Well gave the Esse a good inside passage , firebox, etc; cleaning... Didn't take long for you know who to find the heat from the first fire of the season... Added four more feet of class A for a total of about 18 feet... Big difference on start up and nicer low steady burns.....plus some nice ghost flames above the fire..
View attachment 112460

Very adorable little guys!!

Reactions: charly
White Lake-20130923-00633.jpg
First small fire

Status
Not open for further replies.