Why aren't splitting wedges wider?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I keep looking at the splitting wedge on my splitter and thinking how I can make it even wider in the back. It just seems that a wider wedge would spread a log apart even faster, possibly saving time by not having to push it so far. Most wedges seem about the same size...just curious why they aren't wider? _g

That is a good question. On a lot of the oak and elm I split I have to run the whole stroke and still pull the pieces apart by hand or turn and run again from the other side. I would think a wider wedge would take more horsepower. Would a wider wedge be more dangerous by splitting or moving the pieces closer to the operator. I am sure others have other ideas or answers.

I always thought the hardest part of getting a log to split was the beginning...where the wedge starts the split. Once it gets that first inch or so started it is all downhill.

I always thought the hardest part of getting a log to split was the beginning...where the wedge starts the split. Once it gets that first inch or so started it is all downhill.
I think the same way.

I would like to think that the manufacturers/designers of the splitters have tried other designs and stay with what works best. Although, there may still be a BETTER mouse trap to be made yet.

Imagine a hand maul or splitter or wedge with a drastically wider back-end. It would seem that it would take a lot more force to drive it through as you get deeper into the wood. Same with hydraulics I guess.

Mechanical advantage of a wedge decreases when the width increases....if the length stays the same.

You could make a wedge longer and wider, but it may become ungainly and/or the tip can get too thin and weak.

i will get a pic of my homebuilt splitter soon as i can,,,but it has a wider angle added to the rear of the wedge. The narrow part in the front starts the split,,then it gets to the wide part where the wood is separated faster. It works very well,,,kind of a 2-stage wedge. The wood falls apart faster then my other store bought splitter which has a stock wedge.

It is true, once the wood is split,, the hard work is over. The spreading of the split does not take a lot of power. In fact, you can watch my splitter slow down to the first stage of the hydraulics when splitting a tough piece,,,then as soon as it splits,,,it goes back to the fast 2nd stage of the pump and speeds up while spreading the split on the wide angle of the wedge.

My father made his own. But it doesnt look any different than purchased wedges. Just a big chunk of steel. Dont know how he did it.
Mallable iron doesnt seem like it would hold up to repeat poundings.
I dont use them unless something else gets stuck.

My father made his own. But it doesnt look any different than purchased wedges. Just a big chunk of steel. Dont know how he did it.
Mallable iron doesnt seem like it would hold up to repeat poundings.
I dont use them unless something else gets stuck.
i think they are talking bout hyd splitters,,,not hand wedges :)

I remember a discussion we had a few years ago and we discovered at that time there is a difference in the width of the wedges on different splitters.

This may be sacrilege but I use one of these now...I guess thats cheating?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 147
i think they are talking bout hyd splitters,,,not hand wedges :)
Yeah...oh..sorry...didnt read closely enough, well same goes for the hydraulic, make a wider one. I think theres just a pin that holds mine on.
My best friends husband owns a machine shop, seems like a simple thing to change if you want to play.

I added wideners to my straight (purchased) wedge for the increase in splitting speed. Works better than the straight edge. I left the first couple of inches the factory thickness to get the split started:
100_1547sm.jpg

This was done using a very heavy (1/4" thick) 2 x 4 tubing cut at an angle then welded on (using a low hydrogen rod because of the hardness of the wedge). I even filled the void with various sizes of rod so that there was no possibility of it getting crushed in. Cut and ground a top plate and welded it on to give it more fit and finish.

Reactions: BobUrban
And that is exactly what I would do jags - well done sir.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.