Why can't I use my insert fan when the damper is closed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zknowlto

Hearth Supporter
Aug 1, 2009
Lansing, MI
We recently purchased a regency I1200 with the optional fan. The manual specifically notes that the fan is not to be used if the damper is more than half way closed. But isn't this when I'd want to use the fan the most? Specifically, it seems like once I get the stove up to temperature and have a nice slow burn going, I'd want to blow the heat into the room. Is there something I'm totally missing (wouldn't be the first time)? Why shouldn't I do this?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I certainly don't know the stove, but... might they want you running a hot, fast burn? Could the damper slow the burn to a rate where the stove is not hot enough? And running the fan would just cool it all off more?? Maybe a preventative measure to keep the stove hotter for less creosote? I dunno.

This does seem a bit odd...sounds like the mfg is in a deal with your wood supplier, as I guess you will burn 60% more wood if you can't close the damper more than halfway....perhaps an email to the mfg rep?

Not sure of the rationale behind that statement, but I
burned a Regency I3100L insert for 3 winters & never turned the blower
off. I left the switch in the "auto" position...
In fact, if I woke up in the middle of the night &
the blower wasn't going, I knew that I hadda beat feet
downstairs & re-stoke the fire...

Well, I'm glad that it's not just me that doesn't understand this. I'll try writing to Regency, though I've asked them technical questions before with no response. I'll post if I find out anything.

Re-read your manual. I read it quickly as well last year and I thought it say 1/2 way. It's really 1/2" before fully closed. I suspect they don't want the blower going in slow burn mode because you may cool off the internal stove temp and cause the wood to smolder vs burn. I dunno, just a theory...

FAN OPERATION
The fan is to be operated only with the draft
control rod pulled out at least 1/2" from the
fully closed position. The fan is not to be
operated when the draft control rod is in the
closed position (pushed in). The fully closed
position is the low burn setting.

Re-read your manual. I read it quickly as well last year and I thought it say 1/2 way. It’s really 1/2” before fully closed. I suspect they don’t want the blower going in slow burn mode because you may cool off the internal stove temp and cause the wood to smolder vs burn. I dunno, just a theory…

FAN OPERATION
The fan is to be operated only with the draft
control rod pulled out at least 1/2” from the
fully closed position. The fan is not to be
operated when the draft control rod is in the
closed position (pushed in). The fully closed
position is the low burn setting.

Yes, looking at the manual again, that you're right. 1/2" is equivalent to the damper being, maybe, 80% closed. I'm going to chalk this up to needing a new pair of glasses ;).

Thanks all for your help.

Some day they'll make these things idiot proof like putting an electric shut off if the draft exceeds a point. Until then, it's subject to human error. I suppose its been done, (fully closed and running fan) and everything worked ok. I don't think it will harm anything other than building up creosote.

I thought with the new EPA stoves even if you shut off the primary air altogether (like I do in mine once up and burning) the secondaries have a fixed opening. You know, like you can only shut it down to an extent. Never far enough to smolder the fire out if it's burning hot on the secondaries like it should be.

Steve

On Edit: Sorry, just read the above posts. I guess you can't. Or is this a cat stove?

Our Montpelier's manual reads the same. When primary air is 'fully right', fan speed is Off.

This instruction is prefaced by 'Use the following primary air control lever and fan speed control lever settings as a starting point to help determine the best settings for your installation'. We keep the blower in the low/ medium-low range. The snap disk turns it on when up to temp, and I only shut it off when reloading, and letting the new load light off.

Fod01, you're absolutely correct, I remember that now. But with mine anyway, it's no problem shutting the primary air off. The thing just ripps and plenty of very hot air out of the blower. I wonder if they do that to try and help make it idiot proof for people that are not burning properly seasoned wood?

Steve

I really think is has to do with the cooling effect of the top surface of the stove. If you have air moving across the top of the stove, you are moving heat away from the stove. If you remove too much heat, and the stove is not getting enough air to burn real hot, the stove will start to cool and thus cause an inefficient burn. I guess Regency has figured the 1/2" mark is enough air to burn hot enough and running the blower without creating too much emissions.

I'll second that about turning off the fan when reloading.
I've had embers shot out of the fan into the room and also noticed the fan's plastic wheel melted a bit.
The insert really needs the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.