Why did temp go up when I shut damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
So I finally have that nice double wall pipe I'd been dreaming of the past few seasons. I have a damper but not in the recommended spot. The way the pipe is designed, the damper is the first part coming out of the stove instead of 18" above. Anyway, I had a good fire going the other night and had a little too much wood in there. The temp started to rise rapidly even after I had closed off the air as much as the stove allowed. I turned the damper down to 1/2 open only to watch the temp climb instead of fall. Is that a natural short term response to blocking the gases from going up the flue, or am I not getting what a damper is supposed to accomplish? The probe thermometer is 18" above the stove. It was reading 600 at the time I was getting nervous. I had 200 more to go before hitting the red zone, but I know how quickly that can happen if you let the fire run too much before knocking it down.

Mine typically gets up to 800 degrees on the flue probe. On my flue thermometer 600 is dead centre of optimum range. So I don't worry at that point...I have struggled to stay below 900, with the damper closed I've been able to keep it under that 800 mark.

Ian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.