Why do you think I will burn more wood........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow1 said:
Even if you have burned for years you will likely want to experiment with your new stove a bit to see what it can do. How does it burn with this load? this air setting, that one. How much heat can I get out of it? How high can I get the house temp? How fast?

Happened to me last year. After 18 years with the same stove, I actually went up in consumption by 50% with the new one because it was a much bigger stove. First time in 20 years we were at 72º day and night, and I used every advantage I could figure to keep it there. Plus, it was way too much fun dropping big rounds of hickory through the top loading door.

This year I plan on being more frugal. Plus, even though I've been burning 24/7 for a very long time, the new stove had a lot to teach me. Took me half the season and 2/3 of my wood before I figured out I could get the place just as hot with a little less wood. Then it took me another month to actually believe it. Went through 6 cord last year, looking to cut it to 5 this season.

If I get that Fireview, I may be able cut it to 4, which would mean a lot less wood drying in the basement if nothing else. %-P

I am not sure what to think.... I had a waterford before, ran it for 7 years. I never really liked it, but it was ok. I got a really nice ol blaze king, king model, out of the late 80s, My house was averaging 8-10 degress warmer in the am, no more "night feedings" and belive it or not.... I used less wood last year, btw, it was colder last year then it has been in many a year. We burn pine and cottonwood, that is about it. The one drawback is that I have to clean the chimney more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.