Why does my Whitfield profile 20 blow smoke into the room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellet stove is 3 years old, dollar bill test shows gaskets are ok. when pellets are heating but before they light, I'm getting a lot of smoke blowing out into the room. Any ideas ? Roben.

It's coming out with the top where the blower pushes warm air out into the room. Once the pellets fire all the smoke in the fire box clears and it doesn't smoke after that. Roben.

:grrr:
Call the dealer it sounds like it could be a cracked heat exchanger..

EDIT>>>>>
I should add this edit.... I don't know anything about how these heat exchangers are sealed off from the firebox they could be gasketed I don't know.... Mine are welded.
Hearthtools or Shane could probably help you make the better determination...
Good luck.

GVA is right call the dealer asap. and do not use the stove until they determine and fix the problem, even though you do not see smoke after the lightoff you very well could be releasing Carbon Monoxide into the room while the unit is running. safety first , shut it down and get it checked out.

all sound advice above! cracked exchanger or poor weld, but more likely the exhaust pipe isnt secured to the stove very well, is leaking and the smoky air being taken up by the distribution fan. Get it checked! My moneys on the poorly secured pipe, or leaky joint.

strong possibility harry, good call,but the poster says that it smokes during ignition at this time the distribution blower would not be running, your point is definately valid though because if it is leaking there it still could allow wafting smoke to sneak out in those areas. i would agree that area should be checked out as well.

Actually Harry is probably right. On a Whitfield the convection blower is on medium during startup. ONce stove has reached temp it goes to user setting. Probably exhaust leak with convection picking up the smoke and blowing it into the room. Look down the tubes with the thing ignited you'll see light if the exchanger is compromised. Though I have had this issue a few times with the Whitfields.

Shane said:
Actually Harry is probably right. On a Whitfield the convection blower is on medium during startup. ONce stove has reached temp it goes to user setting. Probably exhaust leak with convection picking up the smoke and blowing it into the room. Look down the tubes with the thing ignited you'll see light if the exchanger is compromised. Though I have had this issue a few times with the Whitfields.

no kidding , i didnt know that

thats why i hang out in here, its where the pro's play. thanks shane

Thanks everyone. It's done this since it was new but worse this year. I'll check my exhaust pipe connections. I had them all apart this summer for cleaning. I did pick up a co2 detector on the way home today. Roben.

oregonrider said:
I did pick up a co2 detector on the way home today. Roben.

good deal, i dont care what it burns or who built it, smoke/co detectors are a must! (mikes rule :it aint for normal operation , but it can save you in the "abnormal operation". )

make sure you let us know what you find out

OK it's the stove pipe that is leaking! 45 out of the back leaks at both ends.Should I use hi temp silicon to seal this? the smoke gets sucked in the back and blows out the front. As soon as the pellets light the smoke stops. roben.

Yes use the hi temp UNLESS you want to take it apart again. That is if you need to pull out the stove as part of the cleaning, I would use the hi temp 600* tape....

GVA where do I get that tape? The installer used the silicon and it took me 2 hours to get the pipe apart to clean it. It runs 45 degrees out of the stove, 2' horz. then 9' vert. so I need to take it apart to clean. roben.

I think the smoke is coming from the Small gap around the Heat Exchange Scraper.
This is very common with some pellet stoves when the stove first gets ignition and the firebox fills with smoke just before the Fire takes off for about 2 seconds.
You will notice more smoke if you do not have a good draft with your pipe.
You say you have 9 feet vertical.
you might want to check to see if you have a rise in your horizontal run.

You will not get smoke from your type of pellet stove from the combustion blower forward because everything is the firebox area is Negative air.
But it is Common to see smoke for the first few seconds of ignition if you do not have a perfect draft.
I dont think you have much to be concerned with. you are still gettting less smoke that someone starting a wood stove.

I went to a home improvement store and got aluminum foil tape, put a wrap around both ends of the 45 degree section at the back of the stove. that seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for your help! roben.

Gee, what a surprise, simpson duravent leaking again. Can you imagine that?

Intertape brand aluminum foil tape ASTM E84 rated for flame spread and smoke development meets HUD-BOCA codes.roben.

Status
Not open for further replies.