why insulation on baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the insulation blanket that lays atop the baffle in the Oslo? My F3 doesn't have that, so it makes me wonder. Laying on the air circulators are two rigid plates, and on top of those plates lays the insulation blanket. Just curious what purpose it serves, and if i should add one to the F3 for some reason.

If it's like my Quadrafire it's mainly there to keep the firebox hotter and to prevent gasses from escaping past the board around the edges.

I don't think you need to add it to the baffle. The F3CB is pretty finely tuned already.

See TMonter's reply.

If it's like my Quadrafire it's mainly there to keep the firebox hotter and to prevent gasses from escaping past the board around the edges.

That's pretty much it. The more insulation the better. Ceramic wool is somewhat less expensive and also helps with lower emisisions.

So insulating the baffle is good but having insulating fire bricks is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.