Why is all the free wood just out of range?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
This is killing me. I'm constantly checking craigslist for free wood but everything I find is just too far away to make it profitable, or has strings attached.
This one is an hour each way and I can only haul a half cord at a time. With my truck I'd be looking at $75/cord which is better than buying it but not so much that I want to spend half a day driving all over the state.

Maybe someone else is closer

http://hartford.craigslist.org/zip/1772919865.html

Bristol...not that far from where I work. But that would just be too much work to haul it...then haul it up to VT.

Rent a UHaul 6x12 open trailer and make a few trips. Figure it takes an hour and a half or so to split a cord and that has a head start on drying.

I scrounge at the local brush dump. All the counties around here have one where people drop trees and brush off for composting. Maybe your county has one also?

Matt

I need to hit the local brush dump/recycle center next week. My wife is gonna go nuts if I leave with a full trailer and come back with another full trailer. :lol:

I have done that with the ranger once or twice. I even left with a pile of brush and someone followed me home with a trailer of ash for 10 bucks once.

Status
Not open for further replies.