Why Is The Neighbor's Old Furnature Like A Banquet TV Dinner????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
Answer:

A banquet tv dinner is well seasoned , costs a buck & is almost ready to eat .

The neighbor's old furnature is well seasoned, costs a bucks worth of gas , & is almost ready to burn .

I'd rather break up furnature with a 6 lb sledge that split logs with a wedge & a 20 lb sledge & cut to size with a chain saw.

BTW - thems that got cats are sorry out of luck; cats wont abide burning the finish off the furnature; it would deactivate your catalitic coating on your combustors ceramic honeycomes.

Answer: Both are somewhat unhealty, though burning finished and painted wood is also bad for your neighbor's health.

^^^^ tru.dat

answer: cause they are worth about as much.
but if you sanded and refinished and then sold the furnature youd be able to get better dinners and your home wouldn't
look like the stack at the garbage plant.
if i was your neighbor, i'd be dialing the EPA or something.
please dont burn that crud.

Eernest4,

also, your manual says that the stove is built for firewood only. No painted, stained, lacquered wood or garbage can be burnt in a wood stove. It is bad for you, bad for the environment and bad for the stove, as the gasses will corrode your stove fast and create leaks.

Carpniels

PS. That is how Darwin works: The guys who live are the guys who play by the rules. The guys who die are the ones who think they are smarter, burn old furniture, corrode a hole in the wood stove and die because of CP poisoning.

Smarten up!!

Hope you don't feel too ganged up on, Eernest, but they are right. It does seem a shame to let all those BTU's go to waste.

I believe that here in California, it is illegal to burn anything that has paint, stain, or glue on it.

Sorry to have to say this Eernest: (but that isn`t much different than swallowing poison pills.)

ah! see, this is what i was asking in my post on burn trees or trash, and eernst, i was not trying to lay a trap for you, because i have a certain ideological sympathy with your outlook on this. i would love to help that sun energy sitting in that trashed sofa free itself to warm humankind, rather than simply adorn a trash heap.. On the other hand, one of the underlying reasons i cherish wood heat is the green issue of renewable resources, shared responsibility for caring for our world (gee, that sounds so '60's, but it's so true. love the world, man. peace.) and releasing noxious gases into the environment, while utilizing free energy, seems, well, a desecration of principle, unless the only principle operative here is saving money. a reasonable goal, but not compelling. hmmmmm.....i'd like to hear your response to these questions posted above.

Oh well ,there is still all the unpainted scrap lumber my neighbors throw out each week.

The more i think about what you guys say, the more I realize just how very right you are. thanks for the warnings, nothing with any finish on it will ever go into my stove again; no matter how low the wood pile gets.

It was a matter of I can't bear to waste all those good btu's but now I know the reason to let it rot in the dump.

just to rock the boat a little bit most of the chemicals on furniture are toxic right? So is it any better to pollute the ground than the air by letting them rot those chemicals are going into our water right?

hedgeburner said:
just to rock the boat a little bit most of the chemicals on furniture are toxic right? So is it any better to pollute the ground than the air by letting them rot those chemicals are going into our water right?
In the ground unburnt most of the staining/paint products will stay as they are with possible leaching, maybe.
Burnt up into the atmosphere its called acid rain and ozone depletion. :snake:
Rain = WATER :roll: No boat rocked. :red:

I dont feel picked on, i am greatfull for the warning before anything bad could happen. i just throw out all the furnature wood that had any type of finish on it & only kept dry bear wood.
So, to the dump to rot in piece. They probably burn it at the dump & no tell anyone.
But i stay clean & green.

Hey north, pin hole in my elbow, eigh!

eernest said:
I dont feel picked on, i am greatfull for the warning before anything bad could happen. i just throw out all the furnature wood that had any type of finish on it & only kept dry bear wood.
So, to the dump to rot in piece. They probably burn it at the dump & no tell anyone.
But i stay clean & green.

Hey north, pin hole in my elbow, eigh!
I know ya mean well eernest. Remember in a couple of threads I used the word (SMELTER) instead of a wood stove.
Thought you would pick up on it. Any how ya still got class MR. E I know your learning still every day and your signature says so. ;-P N of 60

i second the motion, and raise my glass. (and drink it, too)

I, too, have to resist this urge to burn "other" wood. I didn't much care about the old Fisher, but the few times I have thrown something odd in the Quad, I have regretted it. The cheapskate in me vs. the tree hugger. Oh well!

On a side note, combustion is often the best way to get rid of something noxious. I had to work on a thermal catalyzer at a plant near here that was being used to clean up fumes from a printing process. I'm sure it was a lot more sophisticated than a wood stove. Sure did burn a lot of gas...

eernest4 said:
Oh well ,there is still all the unpainted scrap lumber my neighbors throw out each week.

The more i think about what you guys say, the more I realize just how very right you are. thanks for the warnings, nothing with any finish on it will ever go into my stove again; no matter how low the wood pile gets.

It was a matter of I can't bear to waste all those good btu's but now I know the reason to let it rot in the dump.

yea, cool man, good choice.
be a concious, responsible, good burner and you will be a happy proud burner :)

(+ keep the gov't from regulating any more too.)

NOW-- WHAT ABOUT THE CORD +,
OF UNPAINTED PLYWOOD THAT I SCROUNGED LAST SUMMER.

Can i burn that in my stove or does it go to the dump like the finish bearing furnature wood already did.

It would take me 6 + hours to cut up that unpained bare plywood to fit it into my stove to burn but I'm not going to make a single cut until you guys wiegh in on the subject with a verdict.

It is not painted ,it is bare wood but it is plywood & I guess that the limanations are glued together with whatever glue they use to make plywood with.

ARE THERE ANY POLUTION ISSUES WITH BURNING BARE PLYWOOD.

The trailer is ready to take the plywood to the dump or the table saw is ready to cut it up to burn, so what is it to be???

Take it to craigslist first. One man's garbage is another's gold. There may be a playhouse or woodshed in those sheets.

dang man, as much as its hard to pass up free btu's plywood is full of glue + crud.
dont burn, build a wood shed.

i don't know. my inclinations would be not to burn it. but i think it would be worth talking to someone who really knows. is there a university extension in your area? maybe call the local sanitation department - they must have an engineer who knows these things. sounds like a hassle, but i'll tell you, i feel like we're talking out of our stacks on this without having real hard knowledge.

now here's some pollutin issue - we made our coal bin out of our neighbor's plywood and fence posts

Status
Not open for further replies.