Why the variance in thermometers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
My stove says the best operating range is between 400°F and 700°F, therefore leading me to believe that operating my stove @ up 700°F is safe. Now given that, thermometers vary from indicating an overfire starting anywhere between 450°F and 600°F and the "safe operating range" is even more whack! Are there stove-specific thermometers out there or do I have to just put up with a generic thermometer telling me I'm running efficiently or too hot when I'm not? I apologize if I'm sounding anal...but I am. I want to be able to look at my thermometer without having to do any guesswork. I want to know exactly where I stand so I can get my stove running as efficiently as possible. The thermometer is supposed to be a tool to help you. If the rest of my tools were this vague and useless I wouldn't get a darn thing done! It stops being a tool, rather a paperweight. In this case, a frisbee for a guinea pig! I don't understand why there is such a huge difference in temperatures. Is there an industry standard or does it vary by what material your stove is made of? Thanks so much for helping me see clearly.

My stove says an overfire is when the stove starts glowing red!

Scott2373 said:
My stove says the best operating range is between 400°F and 700°F, therefore leading me to believe that operating my stove @ up 700°F is safe. Now given that, thermometers vary from indicating an overfire starting anywhere between 450°F and 600°F and the "safe operating range" is even more whack! Are there stove-specific thermometers out there or do I have to just put up with a generic thermometer telling me I'm running efficiently or too hot when I'm not? I apologize if I'm sounding anal...but I am. I want to be able to look at my thermometer without having to do any guesswork. I want to know exactly where I stand so I can get my stove running as efficiently as possible. The thermometer is supposed to be a tool to help you. If the rest of my tools were this vague and useless I wouldn't get a darn thing done! It stops being a tool, rather a paperweight. In this case, a frisbee for a guinea pig! I don't understand why there is such a huge difference in temperatures. Is there an industry standard or does it vary by what material your stove is made of? Thanks so much for helping me see clearly.

For the most part, the thermometer is a guideline than hard and fast rule. Different stoves, materials, and designs all end up causing different outcomes when it comes to recommended top temps.

Run your stove based on the manuals guidelines. For you, it say up to 700 degrees.

A thermometer can not determine which stove you have. It can only offer broad strokes in terms of recommendations.

This is not very complicated. There are stove thermometers for measuring the surface temp of the stove top and specialty ones for measure the catalyst temp. And there are flue pipe thermometers for measuring the surface temp of a single-wall pipe or with a probe for measuring the flue gas temps in a double-wall connector.

http://www.condar.com/woodstove.html

Thank you for the replies. I understand the concept, however I wish there was something more precise. My questions were raised when, on a different thread I'm following, some members demonstrated a 200° difference between two Condar thermometers that were very similar in design, just different model numbers. It's a shame that the manufacturers don't include a quality thermo with their stoves, as it is such a valuable piece of equipment, yet it seems 99% of the users are settling for a cheap, inaccurate hunk of crap. I'm very leary of the Rutland thermo I have on my stove currently, so I'll be sticking it in the oven to test it soon. It just looks and feels like garbage, but my wife went out to buy them and there was no choice but those. Sorry for the rant, but with the amount of money we spend on the stove and what's at stake should something go horribly wrong, it seems to me that people would pay for a better product. Preferrably made in America!

Scott2373 said:
Thank you for the replies. I understand the concept, however I wish there was something more precise. My questions were raised when, on a different thread I'm following, some members demonstrated a 200° difference between two Condar thermometers that were very similar in design, just different model numbers. It's a shame that the manufacturers don't include a quality thermo with their stoves, as it is such a valuable piece of equipment, yet it seems 99% of the users are settling for a cheap, inaccurate hunk of crap. I'm very leary of the Rutland thermo I have on my stove currently, so I'll be sticking it in the oven to test it soon. It just looks and feels like garbage, but my wife went out to buy them and there was no choice but those. Sorry for the rant, but with the amount of money we spend on the stove and what's at stake should something go horribly wrong, it seems to me that people would pay for a better product. Preferrably made in America!

IR Thermometer.

And deep breathes.

It has been said here many times, checking those thermometers in the oven is not that accurate, they are make to check surface temp not air temp.

BeGreen said:
This is not very complicated. There are stove thermometers for measuring the surface temp of the stove top and specialty ones for measure the catalyst temp. And there are flue pipe thermometers for measuring the surface temp of a single-wall pipe or with a probe for measuring the flue gas temps in a double-wall connector.

http://www.condar.com/woodstove.html

Also units like rutlands that have a scale which is an average of what should be seen on stove top and stove pipe. They may read fine, but the scale is worthless for both.

I prefer a condar as BG mentions, or those made by condar.

pen

Well, if you want the most accurate measurements your going to have to get a K type thermocouple with a digital readout. The thing I don't like about them is the wire hanging out, it's kind of an eyesore imo. You could also look into the Teltru thermometers, I think they are very accuracte but a little more spendy. http://www.teltru.com/s-53-surface.aspx

Todd said:
Well, if you want the most accurate measurements your going to have to get a K type thermocouple with a digital readout. The thing I don't like about them is the wire hanging out, it's kind of an eyesore imo. You could also look into the Teltru thermometers, I think they are very accuracte but a little more spendy.

Good point. Problem with most stove top thermometers really is at the price they go for, you can only expect for so much.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.