Why We Love Our Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WNY PAT

Oct 28, 2008
Western New York
Hello Gang,

I'm sitting here in a 78 degree room, sipping fine whiskey and resting my tired body. We were hit by the ice storm and lost power for slightly more than 48 hours. When the power went ka-put, I stayed in bed and listened to the trees cracking and branches crashing down for 3-4 hours. When the noise became too much to hear, I finally got out of bed and reloaded the stove. I made a run for it (literally) over to the barn as branches were falling here and there and grabbed the generator and extension cords. Made it back to the house and hooked up the fridges, sump pump and some lamps - yeah - no fancy whole house units here. LOL Anyway, as the outage lingered, more and more folks headed out to stay with family or to hotels. Not us thanks to the Fireview. That's the long way of me saying thanks for all the years reading here and sharing. It's situations like this that reinforce that I'll never own a home without some secondary heat source not reliant on electric. I've got most of the property cleaned up now and have another cord or so of wood (mostly small rounds) stacked. When I burn it in a year or two I'll remember the storm for sure!

:)

Glad to hear you are staying warm with a good heater and glad to hear the feedback for this site!

pen

I hear you! I bought my Fireview 12 years ago and can't imagine life without it. We had some very bad ice storms here in 2008. We were without power for 7 days, so we depended on our wood stove for heat, light at nights, and as a cooking surface. I have a small generator too but gas was hard to come by for a few days so we just sat around the stove reading books, playing games, and cooking....only running the generators for short bursts to keep the fridge and freezer cold...and in the mornings for showers. The Fireview is such a clean burning stove that after 12 years, the chimney has finally almost needed to be cleaned for the first time. I'm a new member here and just recently wandered in looking for chimney cleaning tips. Lots of great info here and a very helpful group of people. Anyway, like you I'm a big Fireview fan!

We have had the power go out several times and 2 times already during this burning season. For sure the Fireview was nice to have. It can keep you warm and also cook some food for you along with heating water for washing. I'd hate to be without wood heat for sure!

Hello Gang,

I'm sitting here in a 78 degree room, sipping fine whiskey and resting my tired body. We were hit by the ice storm and lost power for slightly more than 48 hours. When the power went ka-put, I stayed in bed and listened to the trees cracking and branches crashing down for 3-4 hours. When the noise became too much to hear, I finally got out of bed and reloaded the stove. I made a run for it (literally) over to the barn as branches were falling here and there and grabbed the generator and extension cords. Made it back to the house and hooked up the fridges, sump pump and some lamps - yeah - no fancy whole house units here. LOL Anyway, as the outage lingered, more and more folks headed out to stay with family or to hotels. Not us thanks to the Fireview. That's the long way of me saying thanks for all the years reading here and sharing. It's situations like this that reinforce that I'll never own a home without some secondary heat source not reliant on electric. I've got most of the property cleaned up now and have another cord or so of wood (mostly small rounds) stacked. When I burn it in a year or two I'll remember the storm for sure!

:)

We had two DV gas stoves for the October Storm and it was the same way. Haven't lost power out here with the wood stove (yet) but it sure is a nice feeling, knowing you'll be warm no matter what. I do worry about the one neighbor's place though, we'd be hauling our LP heater over there with a small tank to keep their pipes from freezing if it was much of an outage. Sad thing is there's two fireplaces (one open, one that looks like it's got a slammer insert but it's not, I don't think-it looks like an old dutch west-there's a 8" stainless flue) but neither's been looked after for years so I'd be afraid for them to run them!

Let's hear it for generators. Heat is great and I love our T6, but losing a summer's worth of produce in 2 freezers would be most painful.

Reactions: jatoxico
Status
Not open for further replies.