1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Why won't my hopper hold an entire bag?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by heb80, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heb80

heb80 New Member

Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    I supposedly have a 40lbs hopper, but it seems like I always have about 5lbs of pellets in the bottom of the bag after I fill the hopper (after letting it run out completely). Do other's with the 55-SHP-10 have this problem?

Perhaps my pellets are just less dense (pennington)?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pe islander

pe islander New Member

Loc:
    PEI, Can.
    I'm not familiar with your stove, but just a heads up, from reading posts on here for quite some time, I never empty a complete bag into the hopper. I always leave the last five pounds in the bag and sift the remaining to get rid of the fines (saw dust). The fines can lead to auger problems over a period of time, so this can help prevent this. Nonetheless, if you're hopper is supposed to hold 40lbs, it may be a rough estimate, my Harmon is supposed to hold 65lbs, and I would think it's about 5-10lbs off as well!
  3. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    It varies on the density / size of the pellets. As mileage may vary on various brands, as Fireside which is small pellets mine will take the whole bag, Sommerset's, larger pellets, only about 3/4 of a bag... But in the long run I don't let the hopper get empty, so it don't really matter anyways.
  4. heb80

heb80 New Member

Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Makes sense. Most have said Pennington's pellets are on the longer side, so they probably just don't mesh together inside the hopper as tightly (lots of air space).
  5. petejung

petejung New Member

I have the 55SHP10, too. I don't get a full bag in there, never did. Like most everyone else said, you really don't want to toss a full bag in there anyway - you want to sift that last portion so you don't get excess finesdust down in your auger tube.
  6. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    My BIG E owners manual say it will hold 120 lbs , and that is what it holds.
  7. sparkydog00

sparkydog00 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. Central Mass
    Because it is actually a 37 lbs hopper.
    Think it is an industry standard.
  8. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    actually i can get a whole bag of some brands in my 25-pdvc and other brands i cannot , pellets are weighted by weight and that they also must be of a volume of "x" cubic ft(i forget how many CF) they may excede the CF and still only weigh 40 lbs , hence the difference. the hopper was engineered to accept 40 lbs based on the average CF in the industry. it also had to be engineered to fit within the confines of the stove's cabinet and still have enough slope to be functional.
  9. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    My hopper is a 40 lb. hopper and I can get 37.64 lbs. of pellets in it ;) Having a hopper extension fabricated by a local fabricator...hoping to get 64.38 lbs. in that puppy ;) lol
  10. heb80

heb80 New Member

Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    But how many cubic feet is that? And how many BTU will you get out of a full hopper? ;)
  11. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    For me its not a BTU thing.....its a matter of going longer lengths in between filling it....lol....but I think you know that already lol
  12. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    I was thinking of having an hopper extension fabricated also, as it would be pretty easy for a metal shop to do... but then after I though about it I don't think the expense would be justified. Because I end up cleaning the ash, etc, twice a day and so it not really that much harder to put pellets in it twice a day, ;-)
  13. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I guess it would be more for if I am away overnight...I wouldnt leave the hopper extension on all the time.....but when I needed it. A local shop here is pretty reasonable. I'll wash it in muriatric acid after so the stove paint will adhere nicely.
  14. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    Same issue here. Hopper won't hold a bag.

Peace
  15. sparkydog00

sparkydog00 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N. Central Mass
    Guess nobody read my post on this thread.
    Umm all 40 lbs hoppers are actually 37 lbs.
    Is a conspiracy with the pellet bag manufacturers and the vacumm cleaner companies oh and the stove manufacturers.
  16. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Hey SparkyDog I read it, and was waiting for maybe an official reply to your comment...hmmmm, so maybe it is a conspiracy... :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.