Why you need to be carefull hooking a 6" stove to 8" pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
I fired up my hearthstone heratige in the showroom this evening, unfortuatly its hooked up to a 8" pipe. I lit it and got busy with customers. Just now, i started to smell somthing hot. I walk over the to stove, and i see that the flue tempertures are almost 1500*!! i have never ever seen that pipe that hot, and the stove was a cool 300*. I filled it up with kiln dried firewood, the kind you will find at super markets. Scary stuff, overdraft can do crazy stiuff.

Good way to end up peddling Char-Broil gas grills at K-Mart MSG. That is one big-ass hardware store to burn down!

Did that happen to be 1,200 degree black pipe?

no doubt BB, scared me to death, its on double wall black on the inside but still... i didnt know flue temps could get that hot. Its back down to 700* flue temps and 500* stove temps, it still stinks in here.

Ooooh I just realized what MSG meant! (Been wondering for weeks!)

How do you know it was 1500 inside if it is double walled?

here is the setup, please listen, this is NOT the way you hook up a stove in your home. Its totally illeagle. The reason its there is the building owner will not let us mess with the roof.
we have a fake wall in the showroom that is made of metal studs and goes bout 10' up. it stops but the roof is another 20 feet higher then the wall, we had a regular fireplace back int he day hooked up there. We ripped out the fireplace, durocked where the fireplace was and left the flue in. You can see the flue above the wall and up throught the roof. We put the stove in front of the wall and ran double wall black up and through the wall into a class A T, the T is screwed directly to the 8" liner of the old fireplace pipe. 6" class A happens to have a 8" od and the fireplace pipe has a 8" id. So that old chimney is only rated to 1800*. So what we get is a huge overdraft problem. All this pipe is in the room for the most part, and 20' of 8" is just way to much chimmey. I think im going to go to a shopping center meeting this summer and try to convince them to let me install this right. Tonite scared the CRAP out of me.

Shut that stove down and go climb the mountain and have a great Christmas with your lady and the lil Mountain Stove Girl.

Merry Chrismas bro.

MountainStoveGuy said:
here is the setup, please listen, this is NOT the way you hook up a stove in your home. Its totally illeagle. The reason its there is the building owner will not let us mess with the roof.
we have a fake wall in the showroom that is made of metal studs and goes bout 10' up. it stops but the roof is another 20 feet higher then the wall, we had a regular fireplace back int he day hooked up there. We ripped out the fireplace, durocked where the fireplace was and left the flue in. You can see the flue above the wall and up throught the roof. We put the stove in front of the wall and ran double wall black up and through the wall into a class A T, the T is screwed directly to the 8" liner of the old fireplace pipe. 6" class A happens to have a 8" od and the fireplace pipe has a 8" id. So that old chimney is only rated to 1800*. So what we get is a huge overdraft problem. All this pipe is in the room for the most part, and 20' of 8" is just way to much chimmey. I think im going to go to a shopping center meeting this summer and try to convince them to let me install this right. Tonite scared the CRAP out of me.

Without naming names, I can understand the problems here. A local stove store here has the same problem. pre-stressed concrete building, single level, but strip style building. I asked to see a particular stove operating. OK, Start the fire-up sequence (auto start pellet). Problem was, one of the other display stoves had a broken latch and would not stay closed. Second stove started spewing smoke. The owner leaned against the door and said, Sorry. We got confidential and she admitted they had three pellet stoves running on the same flu. Landlord wouldn't let them cut more exhausts through the roof. Was concerned about leaks and what-if's. The store has been there for many, many years. Probably paid for the place on the owner's mortgage. Wouldn't you think the landlord would rather be safe than sorry? Do you think the insurance company is going to say, "Gee, you forced your tennant to break the law, because you didn't want an extra hole in your roof and now you want us to pay your claim for loss, because you wanted a compromise that resulted in a fire?" Well, we'll pay your claim. Whose the expert? Dealers should demand code compliance. I had a retail store for 20 years. Everytime my landlord asked me to ignore a regulation, I asked that he gave me the request in writing. Worked for me. I had a flatroof building once that the landlord wouldn't allow us to heat above 50 degrees. with a worthless open gas log fireplace. We asked to install something more efficient, he denied the request. Got a snow storm that dumped in a week 5 feet of snow. You got it the roof collapsed. Several thousand in damages. The landlord demanded we pay, I sent his attorney the letter and the repairs were done by the owner, no insurance, no lawsuit, no hassles.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I fired up my hearthstone heratige in the showroom this evening, unfortuatly its hooked up to a 8" pipe. I lit it and got busy with customers. Just now, i started to smell somthing hot. I walk over the to stove, and i see that the flue tempertures are almost 1500*!! i have never ever seen that pipe that hot, and the stove was a cool 300*. I filled it up with kiln dried firewood, the kind you will find at super markets. Scary stuff, overdraft can do crazy stiuff.

My Hearthstone Heritage did a similar thing today on a cold start with a hot load. I too started to smell something hot, not paint, but a cherry red harazontal vent pipe on the 6 inch t venting out the back. I closed the primary and the glow was gone in seconds. stove top temperature was 300 on the soap stone. I moved the temp gage to the t instant 550 surface temp (not glowing) . What temp dose 316ti turn cherry red?

DriftWood said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

My hearthstone heritage did a similar thing today on a cold start with a hot load. I too started to smell something hot, not paint, but a cherry red harazontal vent pipe on the 6 inch t venting out the back. I closed the primary and the glow was gone in seconds. stove top temperature was 300 on the soap stone. I moved the temp gage to the t instant 650 surface temp (not glowing) . What temp dose 316ti turn cherry red?

Somewhere along these lines:

red heat visible in the dark 752
red heat visible in the twilight 885
red heat visible in the daylight 975
red heat visible in the sunlight 1077
dark red 1292
dull cherry-red 1472
cherry-red 1652
bright cherry-red 1832
orangish-red 2012
orangish-yellow 2192
yellowish-white 2372