wich wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

i have axcess to get bur oak and green ash,wich would you prefer and why,,and since oak has about 6 million more btu than ash will it burn hotter or longer than ash or both...

both but takes much longer to season 2 full years oak that is

ash until you get a year ahead and then whatever is easiest.

as already mentioned id run ash as of now because it is almost ready to burn once its cut ,meanwhile let that oak season i n the wind and sun ,it coals alot better and throws heat longer than ash can .of all the species oak is easily one of the best rated woods available to burn but it must be properly seasoned or it will be one of the worst to burn ~if you get my drift

go for the oak. it's the best ! here's my little "stash"

augoak2008032.jpg

fyrwoodguy said:
go for the oak. it's the best ! here's my little "stash"

augoak2008032.jpg

lol nice pile sure your not worried about seaoning time

well i have enuff ash and elm for aabout 2 years and plenty more standing so i should now only be cutting oak ,as i drive 100 miles one way to cut it, and ash is in my back yard....the oak i cut 10 cords now ,split and stacked in a 16 x 33 closed metal wood shed,,,will it age ok in there leaving the 18' door open in the spring ,summer ,and fall,or should i have stacked it out side...thanks ZZZim...theres about 10 more cord of oak, and 5 ash,,what to cut and where to stack...

The problem with the shed is air circulation. You just won't get the air flow that you would outdoors. It will dry but will take longer. Better to stack it outdoors for a while then move it inside.

I also would go for the Oak. Green Ash isn't nearly as good as White Ash. I rate Green Ash just above Silver Maple 'cept it burns prettier and will leave some coals.

If you have or can get enough other wood to last 18mo then take the burr oak it's good stuff but not quick drying even the standing dead stuff takes at least a year to dry.

ok ill stay on the oak and maybe put a cord or three outside to age a little quicker but ill still fill thee 16 x 33 for the future...

zim said:
well i have enuff ash and elm for aabout 2 years and plenty more standing so i should now only be cutting oak ,as i drive 100 miles one way to cut it, and ash is in my back yard....the oak i cut 10 cords now ,split and stacked in a 16 x 33 closed metal wood shed,,,will it age ok in there leaving the 18' door open in the spring ,summer ,and fall,or should i have stacked it out side...thanks ZZZim...theres about 10 more cord of oak, and 5 ash,,what to cut and where to stack...

I was going to vote for the oak unless you need wood for this winter (since the ash will season a lot faster), but if the oak is 100 miles away and the ash is close, I'd go for the ash. Maybe I'd get a couple loads of oak, make large splits, season a couple of years, and use it for long burns, but I can't see driving 100 miles each way for oak if I had ash and elm in the backyard. I'd use the shed for seasoned wood I will burn soon, and stack the oak outside.

i forgot to say i have enuff storage room for about 50 cords ,and im thinking my new mansfield should use about 5 - 6 cord per season...zzzim

Status
Not open for further replies.