Wicked hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonCT

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Got the stove running tonight to take the chill out. Didn't notice it was runnin about 550 on the stove thermometer :) It's currently 80 in my living room...... ooooopssss ;)

Attachments

• Fire03.jpg
    Fire03.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 874
Now thats a great example of good draft. I know you were hot. thats cranking and burning clean.

My wife always gets a bit worried when our stove-top
therm. gets over 550 degrees. But, like I always tell her,
a hot, clean fire now is always better than a chimney fire later.

"A hot fire is a happy fire"....

Rob

550 degree's for a stone stove is damn hot. You can get your castiron or steel stove even hotter. FWIW.

don that is the best picture of a fire in a stove i've seen yet.
what did you set your camera at to get a picture that size?
beautiful closeup. looks like one of those old movies of the center of the earth.

hey msg
hope i'm not sounding to stupid but i have to ask.
why can't one run a stone stove hotter?
hearthstone tells me to run my h2 at no more than 650.
i had it at 700 oops.

sorry i like to ask technical questions.

its just harder to get all that mass up to that temp. You can do it if you try hard enough. Steel can get there in nothing flat.. less material to heat up. As far as hearthstone goes, i dont believe they want the cast parts and a major temp differential then the cast parts. Possibly issues with thermal expantion differences. Also, if there is any moister in the stones from not being used all summer, you can crack them when the water expands to fast. We dont have that issue in the desert that we live in, but that would be my best guess.

Nice looking fire!

Max temp of Fireview soapstone stove is 700. I've had mine close to that, and usually run it at 500-600.

thanks msg. i forgot about the cast iron back and side plate and the baffle. all i had in my mind was it was like having a fire inside a large rock. jim casavant at hearthstone said to run it at 450 to 550 but max at 650. being a older stove with no air wash for the glass it needs to run hot or it soots up. i try to run it just above 500 and that usually has a nice secondary flame there with no smoke. but sometimes it go's to town.

fbelec, I'm just runing my Sony Cybershot on auto, without the flash, at 5 mpix resolution. Then I resize the picture to atleast 600x800 pix.

That fire left enough coals this morning at 10:30 am that if I wanted to continue the fire I could have just set the air to max and set some more splits into there. The outside temp was still reading about 150. And that's after adding the last split at about 9:30 P.M. To be honest, that's the hotest I've had the outside temp. I'm still carefull about the break in. But I brought her there nice and smooth :)

The fiance is almost itchin for winter just to see the effect this stove will have!!

Status
Not open for further replies.