1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

wild weather coming

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by begreen, Jun 12, 2013.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I have the ark almost finished. I am working on a list of obnoxious animals I'm not gonna let on the boat.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good plan, watch out for the baboons, they can be nasty. Send them to DC instead. They'll fit right in.

All jesting aside, after the incident in VA last year, derecho warning should be heeded.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Looks ugly...I'd take it real seriously. Stay safe, folks. Rick
  6. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Anybody in the Northeast worried about this thing? I'm tempted to "in my day, they called them thunderstorms," but I did do some research and apparently these things are nasty. One that hit South Jersey in 2012 cut power to a lot of people for a while. Hoping we don't lose power here... My generator isn't big enough to run the central air :p
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

Supposed to be really bad. The school districts sent out text, email, and phone messages urging parents to be prepared for early dismissals. This thing is expected to gain strength as it moves east. Stay safe everyone, don't take this one lightly!
  8. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Yeah that was really bad I was in VA and caught the tail end of it. I had never heard of a Derecho before then now the local power company had T-shirts made up for the super derecho for everyone that worked on the repairs. I hope to never see a storm like that again stay safe out there yall.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Checking in. The storms split and passed within two miles of the north and the south of the house. Everybody else got their backsides kicked but we got a sprinkle. Weird to watch on radar. And a significant pucker factor.

Exactly the same thing happened with the Derecho last year. We had high winds for fifteen minutes and done. While north of us and south of us got trashed.

Must be all of my clean living.
    Backwoods Savage and begreen like this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

For us in Northern NY, July will be the start when we receive what they call Micro Burst, I've been caught in one when driving, who said pucker factor BIG time.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    No doubt. :rolleyes: Glad you're unscathed.
  12. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  13. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    We didn't get the thunder but are getting pounded with rain here. Ground already staurated and we got a couple more inches overnight - the Charles river passed flood stage this morning.

Ive got waterfalls coming down the stone walls of my basement now and my new upgraded sump pump system is getting a workout.
  14. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  15. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Its kinda funny. Nobody local calls it the Willis Tower. Still the Sears Tower to us.:cool:
  16. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yeah, the Willis name was new to me too. Did Bruce buy it for his next Die Hard Battery movie?
    Jags likes this.
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA

We are doing fine so far. New zoeller pump I put in is keeping up a lot better than the old pedestal, and I don't hear it running :)

936710_10201201031297519_381082014_n.jpg

The thing that really bums me out is that the access road to our flying club airfield is under 2 feet of water. There go my fathers day plans :(
  18. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    We got rain & then we got more rain. A short burst of high winds & then more rain. Ground is so soaked in our area, that a couple of neighbors can practice fly fishing in their yards. I'm looking out my office window as I type & the Hudson River is a big chocolate milk flow & it's WAY up the banks. It hasn't overflowed YET, but there's still a lotta water coming into it from the tributary creeks, that will raise it higher... It's probably 300 yards wide here. I can't imagine what it looks like below West Point...