Will a celing fan work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
So i have a customer that is a licensed contractor that has been doing some work at my house in exchange for me working on his cars/trucks

We were talking about my living room over the weekend. I have no lights or anything in it just has a switched outlet for floor lights. We are thinking of putting in 4 recessed lights and thought about putting in a mount for a celing fan for us to add later on.

So with the stove being in the LR would there be a big benfit for having one to move the air around the house?

no but there is about 6" of fiberglass insulation and about 3-4 inches of blown in insulation on top of that. then a 3-4 foot air space then the roof

cfan blows up in the winter so to avoid feeling the breeze under it. This creates a pressure zone above the fan & enhances heatloss up i think. from there the heat will move as it does normally which is to the cold areas including windows where the warm air will cascade down the window & might condense on the glass. i prefer to move cold air from other room via floor fan or blower, this effects a thermal exchange to the desired area
cfans are great for blowing down in summer to feel the breeze & not bad if breeze aint felt in winter.

I have an open floor plan with the stove in the middle of it. The ceiling fan does a nice job of evening out the room. However, the fan on the floor in the hallway blowing cold air into the room is much more effective at heating the rest of the house.

I have a wall of windows in the space that the stove is in and haven't noticed any condensation. Not saying it doesn't happen, just hasn't happened to me.

As long as your getting the work done, DO IT!, you'll never ever regret putting in a ceiling fan.

Nate, you will have better results with the fan blowing up in winter and down in summer.

During winter, the coldest air is along the walls. This, as you know, causes the air to flow downwards because it is cooler than the warmer air in the interior. Well, if air flows down along the walls, where does it flow back up to replace that air? In the center of the room. Therefore, if you blow the air up in the center of the room (low speed) that will simply assist with the natural flow of air and will give a little bit better results. Give it a try.

2-story house, approx. 650 sq. ft. per floor. Ceiling fan blowing up does a great job of distributing heat on my ground floor in winter. When it's running, the temperature downstairs goes up in the rooms farthest from the stove. When I'm downstairs during the day, I have it on. Before bed, I turn it off and let the heat flow upstairs.

Ceiling fans rock! Especially in the summer, and also when the stove is burning.

I tested mine both ways and found that it works much better when blowing down. It creates a downdraft of warm air that blows down under the opening into the next room. Blowing up or down it distributes the warmth within the room equally, but blowing down it moves it into other rooms better. You can stand in the next room and actually feel the warm air being blown in.

Regarding heat loss, the minimally higher pressure above the fan might enhance heat loss due to infiltration -- so if you have open gaps around the fan, then maybe more hot air will go through them with the fan running. But in general, the biggest heat loss in your house *should* be through radiation (you should have all the gaps sealed). Radiation is proportional to the temperature differential, so you'll decrease the loss to the attic by moving some of the hot air off the ceiling and down to where you're living. That's actually the best part -- getting the hot air off the ceiling and down to where you can enjoy it.

Do It. I installed one last year on my split ranch and I noticed a big difference. I noticed that the rooms in the back of the house were considerably warmer than years past. Anytime you move air around be it winter of summer its a plus.

Recessed can lights in a cathedral ceiling can (but not necesarilly) be a real big source of heat loss. Canned lights above a ceiling fan ARE annoying as the shadows of the revolving fan move about the room. If you considering the canned lights, demand that they are AIR TIGHT and Insulation Contact rated otherwise you are essentially creating holes in your ceiling. Dimmers on the lights are a plus as well -- mood lighting.

If the ceiling is cathedral, by all means do the fan, and research the noise and wattage ratings prior to purchasing. Also, controlling the fan should not require a step ladder if at all possible. Also I prefer wall wash lighting in cathedral ceiling rooms much nicer than the recessed canned lights.

BLIMP said:
cfan blows up in the winter so to avoid feeling the breeze under it. This creates a pressure zone above the fan & enhances heatloss up i think. from there the heat will move as it does normally which is to the cold areas including windows where the warm air will cascade down the window & might condense on the glass. i prefer to move cold air from other room via floor fan or blower, this effects a thermal exchange to the desired area
cfans are great for blowing down in summer to feel the breeze & not bad if breeze aint felt in winter.

agree, I think.
Holy run-on sentence Batman!

the lights will be airtight already thought of it and they wont be mounted near the blades of the fan so no problems with shadowing (really hate that ). and its just a standard 8ft hight

Status
Not open for further replies.