Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bed size doesn’t really matter as, in a 1/2 ton truck you will always run out of weight capacity before bed space, when loading it with freshly cut firewood to haul home. Even that itty-bitty super-short bed, stacked 2 feet deep with rounds, can be 2200 lb. of oak. That’s not evenly distributed between the axles, as in keeping with the maximum payload rating of the vehicle, but directly atop a rear axle and suspension designed for 1000 lb. of weight in the bed.

Go long bed, and it’s possible to stuff 3500 lb. of freshly-cut oak rounds in the bed, without going much over the rails. Again, directly over the rear suspension, not evenly distributed between the axles. That’ll even make a 1 ton squat, a bit.

It’s been decades since a “half ton” truck was actually 1000# of capacity. It’s all over the board now.

Reactions: beatlefan
Very unlikely to have a pickup that can handle a full cord. The bed would have to be larger than standard and the suspension would have to be significantly enhanced. Not really likely for any standard pickup.....

It’s been decades since a “half ton” truck was actually 1000# of capacity. It’s all over the board now.
Yes but none of them are anywhere near the weight of a full cord

Reactions: Ashful

Not really. They’ve all been running pretty close to 2200 lb. total payload for at least 20 years. But again, that’s 2200 lb. evenly distributed between both axles, and including fuel, cabin cargo, and your fat ass. [emoji14]

2200’ish lb. equally distributed between the axles still yields something not far from 1000 lb. in the bed, no matter how you slice it, and way short of a cord of green hardwood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Not really. They’ve all been running pretty close to 2200 lb. total payload for at least 20 years. But again, that’s 2200 lb. evenly distributed between both axles, and including fuel, cabin cargo, and your fat ass. [emoji14]

2200’ish lb. equally distributed between the axles still yields something not far from 1000 lb. in the bed, no matter how you slice it, and way short of a cord of green hardwood.

You must figure payload capacity differently than me. I only consider actual stickered ratings, the legal ones. I only had 400# of payload capacity on my 98 k1500! Like two fat chicks! My current 2000 f350 only has 2400# of actual legal capacity.

I’m sure you realize that there are several limiting ratings and only those stickers on the truck matter. Gvwr, gawr, tire ratings, are about it. There is none of this guessing about how the weight is distributed.

Tow rating and payload capacity from a marketing brochure are meaningless.

Last edited:
The op didn’t ask whether the truck could handle the weight of one cord, just whether it could fit.

Didn’t you guys ever take tech writing classes or even listen to any riddles? Words matter.

The op didn’t ask whether the truck could handle the weight of one cord, just whether it could fit.

Didn’t you guys ever take tech writing classes or even listen to any riddles? Words matter.
Really??? Who the hell cares if it will fit but the truck cant handle the weight? There would be absolutly no reason to load a truck full of wood if it wasnt able to move that wood safely. You need to use some common sense as well.

Really??? Who the hell cares if it will fit but the truck cant handle the weight? There would be absolutly no reason to load a truck full of wood if it wasnt able to move that wood safely. You need to use some common sense as well.

Should take that up with the OP then. He's the one who asked. :)

Should take that up with the OP then. He's the one who asked. :)
Ok tell me any reason you would want to put a cord of wood in a truck that cant move it

LOL. I knew the weight thing was going to pop up eventually. Not starting any pissing matches over weight, leave that for the 1/2 ton pickup thread. I have overloaded every truck I have ever owned many times with not just firewood. I was more interested in pictures.

I don't care if it moves or not. I just answered the question that was asked.
Sometimes you need to help the asker to the correct question, when they ask the wrong one.

Yes really. Look closer. I only had 400# of payload capacity on my 98 k1500!
I have some trouble believing that a factory-configured 98 k1500 was rated that low. I owned a 1995 K1500 extended cab 4x4, and remember it having a payload rating of 1800#, something like 4600# curb and 6400# GVWR.

Ok tell me any reason you would want to put a cord of wood in a truck that cant move it
It'll move it. Explaining why you couldn't stop your vastly overloaded truck to the cops when you run over the kid that just rode his bicycle out in front of you is going to be a humbling experience, though.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Sometimes you need to help the asker to the correct question, when they ask the wrong one.

I have some trouble believing that a factory-configured 98 k1500 was rated that low. I owned a 1995 K1500 extended cab 4x4, and remember it having a payload rating of 1800#, something like 4600# curb and 6400# GVWR.

It'll move it. Explaining why you couldn't stop your vastly overloaded truck to the cops when you run over the kid that just rode his bicycle out in front of you is going to be a humbling experience, though.

Yep, 5800# on the scale and 6200# gvwr. Frequently exceeded of course! 98 k1500.

I have never seen a payload rating on the legal sticker. Are you sure that’s not just marketing bs like “tow rating”?

I have never seen a payload rating on the legal sticker. Are you sure that’s not just marketing bs like “tow rating”?
I haven’t either, but I can do the 2nd grade arithmetic. The sticker lists curb weight and GVWR, the difference in the two being your payload capacity, with all of the aforementioned (fuel, passengers, etc.) included. And with suspension and tires being two of the primary limiting factors, it is intended to be distributed between both axles, not entirely over the rear axle, in the bed of the truck.

I've delivered firewood several times with my half-ton Ram 1500 with a 3" lift. In an 8 foot bed, I can very comfortably get a half cord of dry wood stacked to the top of the decorative rails on top of the regular rails on the truck bed. At that point, the weight is right on the cusp of what the truck can comfortably handle (stop, accelerate, steer OK). Without too much more work building up sides, I can physically get 3/4 cord in there, but the weight becomes an issue for stopping and the steering isn't as responsive as it should be. A cord would probably fit, but I wouldn't be driving anywhere with it. If I wanted to move full cords of wood on a regular basis, I wouldn't try it with anything less than a 1 ton truck, or possibly a beefy trailer. My father-in-law's old (think mid 80s) 3/4 ton farm truck can handle absurd amounts of weight while maintaining driveability - we've put over a cord of green wood in there and driven it home with ease, so I guess they don't build 'em like they used to?

Reactions: D8Chumley
I haven’t either, but I can do the 2nd grade arithmetic. The sticker lists curb weight and GVWR, the difference in the two being your payload capacity, with all of the aforementioned (fuel, passengers, etc.) included. And with suspension and tires being two of the primary limiting factors, it is intended to be distributed between both axles, not entirely over the rear axle, in the bed of the truck.

None of my stickers list curb weight either. I would want to verify that anyway since I may not include options or fuel. The sticker does provide axle and gross ratings. Those plus tire ratings are what the judge will consider, not some holes pokus arithmetic done by the perp using fake numbers.

I think we can agree that you just can't exceed your GVWR, GAWR, or tire ratings and be legal. Weigh when loaded to determine if you're over. A smart guy will weigh when empty so that he can determine his allowable cargo capacity.

I did the half ton thing for several hundred thousand miles. Those trucks are nice riding and give good mpg. I upgraded to the one ton many years ago for the cargo capacity, and the related tongue weight capacity on the hitch.

As trucks have gotten newer, you'll notice the ratings keep going up. There are modern half tons out there with more towing capability than my 2000 F350! It's wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I can carry a full cord on my f250, BUT it has been modified to safely carry that much weight.
A full cord of wood raises the center of gravity by quite a bit, so take that i to account.

Reactions: bholler
None of my stickers list curb weight either. I would want to verify that anyway since I may not include options or fuel. The sticker does provide axle and gross ratings. Those plus tire ratings are what the judge will consider, not some holes pokus arithmetic done by the perp using fake numbers.

I think we can agree that you just can't exceed your GVWR, GAWR, or tire ratings and be legal. Weigh when loaded to determine if you're over. A smart guy will weigh when empty so that he can determine his allowable cargo capacity.

I did the half ton thing for several hundred thousand miles. Those trucks are nice riding and give good mpg. I upgraded to the one ton many years ago for the cargo capacity, and the related tongue weight capacity on the hitch.

As trucks have gotten newer, you'll notice the ratings keep going up. There are modern half tons out there with more towing capability than my 2000 F350! It's wild.
You know, I think you're right, Highbeam. I was just checking photos online of door jamb stickers, and none have the curb weight. I must have gotten that off the window sticker, at time of purchase, and done the mental math at that time.

It would be nice to have access to a scale when I load the truck with wood, or anything else, to check how I stand against GVWR and GAWR. But we both know that's not realistic. That's where knowing your payload capacity comes in, I usually know the approximate weight of anything I'm loading into the truck.

All of this has become less important, since I got a 7000# trailer. I rarely put anything more than a few hundred pounds of fertilizer in the bed of the pickup, anymore, the trailer is just so much more convenient for everything else. If moving lots of wood, and not needing a 1-ton truck as a daily driver, I'd highly recommend looking at trailers before going heavy on the truck purchase.

Reactions: Highbeam
This is exactly one face cord loosed tossed in an 8' box.

This is the same amount in a 6 x 10' trailer.

In order for it to fit, side racks up to the top of the cab would be required and and end gate, plus the wood would have to be tightly stacked and as many have said, weight is the biggest factor. I am going to build side racks for my truck, but realistically 2/3 cord would be appropriate for a 3/4 ton.

Attachments

• Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?
    34teib4.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?
    34teib4.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 237
Problem with above pic.

This is 1.7 cord in truck and 18' trailer.

Reactions: Lakeside and Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.