Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyotas aren't trucks. Why would you haul hickory blocks 90 miles?

I have a 2005 Tacoma I purchased new. It is my weekend work truck. They are not rated to carry much, but I have hauled nearly a ton in the bed many times over the years. Granted it was way overloaded, but it handled the load well, springs didn't buckle and the 4 cyl 5 speed pulled it without a wince. I have hauled many a cord of wood in it. I have put racks on the side to increase the ricks I could haul. My rack to rick ratio is about 2:1. If the racks are tall enough you can stand the ricks up. I find ricks travel more comfortably when they are standing. In a pinch you can use pallets as rick racks. I know the the Toyota Tacoma is a smallish truck, but I am very secure with my Manliness and do not need a big rig since I only use it for work around the homestead.
I would suspect ohlongarm hauled the hickory blocks 90 miles because it was the easiest way to get them there.

Last edited:
Whatever makes you happy,that Toyota 03 has 366,000 miles and runs as strong as the day i got it,it hauled that load of solid hickory blocks 90 miles hundreds of times,i replaced shocks three times,nothing else but brakes,tires,batteries. If your dually floats your boat God bless you. I'll drive Toyota serves me well.If I wanted a bigger truck none are made I can't buy,wife inherited 7 figures some time ago and we still work. again it's what you prefer.

Yep... Toyotas are great commuter vehicles, maybe one of the best, for folks looking to put 300k miles on a car. But they are not capable of safely hauling any weight commensurate with a cord of firewood, period. My comment was aimed at the weight handling, not how many miles it could survive.

Folks who inherit their money don’t impress me.

I have a 2005 Tacoma I purchased new. It is my weekend work truck. They are not rated to carry much, but I have hauled nearly a ton in the bed many times over the years. Granted it was way overloaded, but it handled the load well, springs didn't buckle and the 4 cyl 5 speed pulled it without a wince. I have hauled many a cord of wood in it. I have put racks on the side to increase the ricks I could haul. My rack to rick ratio is about 2:1. If the racks are tall enough you can stand the ricks up. I find ricks travel more comfortably when they are standing. In a pinch you can use pallets as rick racks. I know the the Toyota Tacoma is a smallish truck, but I am very secure with my Manliness and do not need a big rig since I only use it for work around the homestead.
I would suspect ohlongarm hauled the hickory blocks 90 miles because it was the easiest way to get them there.
Overloading it and driving on your own property is one thing. You are not endangering anyone or anything other than your truck and possibly yourself. But probably not even any danger to yourself because and driving would be at slow speeds.

Driving a seriously overloaded vehicle on public roads around others to me is just irresponsible.

Reactions: rox3406
I really dont know why you mention how much money you have so often. None of us really care either way. If you like toyotas fine i like them to and have owned 3 and driven many more but they simply cant handle as much weight as most other trucks. And no matter what you think driving that truck loaded that much is completly unsafe. And being a leo you should know better.

I have no money,the trust does,shid happens in life you take it in stride and thank God,just saying no truck made ,that I can't drive if i was so inclined. the Yota does all i need to,just picked up the 2018 TRD PRO ,today,will post a pic,i'll drive the 03 till she dies,and no she wasn't overloaded,that's just what you think. As for the hickory blocks ,$500 a load as many loads AS i CARE TO HAUL,THE MARKET IS ENDLESS. Sorry if you're offended by others blessings,that must suck.

it's 45 miles to the mill where the cutoffs are,that little truck has hauled hundreds of loads a little over a ton,no probs,truck has an extra leaf,now they come standard with the extra.Truck sits level and steers perfectly,don't need a big truck to do what a little will do ,i plan on running this truck just to see how long she'll run,not one mark on it,also have a 2016,and a 2018 trd pro.Hope I didn't offend anybody,life is what it is,sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

I have no money,the trust does,shid happens in life you take it in stride and thank God,just saying no truck made ,that I can't drive if i was so inclined. the Yota does all i need to,just picked up the 2018 TRD PRO ,today,will post a pic,i'll drive the 03 till she dies,and no she wasn't overloaded,that's just what you think. As for the hickory blocks ,$500 a load as many loads AS i CARE TO HAUL,THE MARKET IS ENDLESS. Sorry if you're offended by others blessings,that must suck.
Yes it was over loaded. Even if those blocks were kiln dried down to 7% or so for cabinetry there is no way that load is under or even close to the weight limit on that truck. And yes if i was willing to make the payment i could drive whatever truck i wanted as well. But i prefer cheap old trucks partly because i enjoy working on them.

You didnt offend me in the least just wanted to point out that none of us care how much money you have at all. But honestly i generally find those who brag about their money either have few other redeeming qualities so they focus on their money or are greatly exaggerating their money to compensate. I dont know that either applies to you just commenting on how it comes across.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
it's 45 miles to the mill where the cutoffs are,that little truck has hauled hundreds of loads a little over a ton,no probs,truck has an extra leaf,now they come standard with the extra.Truck sits level and steers perfectly,don't need a big truck to do what a little will do ,i plan on running this truck just to see how long she'll run,not one mark on it,also have a 2016,and a 2018 trd pro.Hope I didn't offend anybody,life is what it is,sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
So you think it is perfectly safe and legal to haul over a ton in that truck??? Do you run 10 plys on it? If not it is unsafe. Did you upgrade the axles to 8 lugs and heavier axles? If not its unsafe. Did you upgrade the brakes? If not its unsafe. And regardless of all of that it is not legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rox3406
Wonder what the other driver's, (and LEO's) think of hauling a load of blocks like that can tumble off on the highway?

Reactions: bholler
Overloading it and driving on your own property is one thing. You are not endangering anyone or anything other than your truck and possibly yourself. But probably not even any danger to yourself because and driving would be at slow speeds.

Driving a seriously overloaded vehicle on public roads around others to me is just irresponsible.

I can't argue with that. When I have been overloaded it is always close to home, no highways and drive very cautiously. That being said it still doesn't make it right, and I don't make it a habit. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I feel it is still safer than the idiots texting while they drive who are everywhere everyday.

Reactions: Ashful and bholler
I can't argue with that. When I have been overloaded it is always close to home, no highways and drive very cautiously. That being said it still doesn't make it right, and I don't make it a habit. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I feel it is still safer than the idiots texting while they drive who are everywhere everyday.
Agreed

You're gifted to have that ability,I'm not,toys temporarily on loan from God,I can take em or leave em,for the record sir,never drove 90mph in my Taco,90 miles,now the 911,and AMG,das another story.Anyway how's my wood stacks lookin.
Oops i meant to say miles not mph. And your stacks are fine. Nothing impressive though.

And why havnt you driven one of your toyotas at 90 mph? I have had a taco close to that on dirt

Last edited:
Fantastic car ,irregardlous,but between the stable I should get a cord if I try hard enough.View attachment 229265
I’m not that impressed with your “stable”, but the fact that you’d take, name, and post a photo of it says much about your small-mindedness. There are folks on this forum who have far, far more, but don’t find it necessary to prove it.

But since you keep bringing God into, let’s not forget Matthew 19:23-26. You may do well to remember James 4:6, as well.

Oops i meant to say miles not mph. And your stacks are fine. Nothing impressive though.

And why havnt you driven one of your toyotas at 90 mph? I have had a taco close to that on dirt

Probably because I've seen hundreds of times what happens to the human body when speed and human error collide.Nothing impressive I've got a football field of stacked wood,give a guy a break.

I’m not that impressed with your “stable”, but the fact that you’d take, name, and post a photo of it says much about your small-mindedness. There are folks on this forum who have far, far more, but don’t find it necessary to prove it.

But since you keep bringing God into, let’s not forget Matthew 19:23-26. You may do well to remember James 4:6, as well.
Not trying to prove anything if you'd post a picture of your toys I'd be happy for ya.Just the difference in people,and there's always someone with more ,nobodys taking anything with them when their numbers up.Chill out it's all good ,only toys flash in the pan.

Probably because I've seen hundreds of times what happens to the human body when speed and human error collide.Nothing impressive I've got a football field of stacked wood,give a guy a break.
You wont drive fast yet you will drive an absurdly overloaded truck??? Have you ever had a tire blow out with a load on? You do realize the tires on your tacoma are not rated anywhere near high enough right.

As far as the stacks many of us here have easily as much as we can see in those pics. They are nice stacks sure but nothing out of the ordinary.

I am sure your tacomas are better suited to driving 90mph than driving 90 miles with a ton in the bed.

Umm... is it safe to say the original question has been answered and we can close this topic? Things got stupid, and now it’s a pi$$ing match. How embarrassing.

LG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: My_3_Girls
Umm... is it safe to say the original question has been answered and we can close this topic? Things got stupid, and now it’s a pi$$ing match. How embarrassing.

LG

I am not embarrassed at all but the guy who is supposed to uphold the law yet knowinly breaks it endangering others should be.

LG

Kill the thread. Kill the thread. Kill the thread.

Pardon me . . . gotta put down my pitchfork and torch.

Kill the thread. Kill the thread. Kill the thread.

It took me 7 pages to figure out you guys saying LEO as law enforcement and not the astrological sign.

Woody - Glad I was not the only one!! I was thinking the forum was going in the wrong direction if our zodiac signs suddenly were important! ;-) We have enough trouble with cat vs non-cat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.