1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Will a thin layer of stage 3 creosote rot my firebox?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by danjayh, Oct 29, 2012.

1. danjayh

danjayh New Member

So I posted a picture a week or two ago of my firebox after a bunch of tar had condensed onto it (still haven't figured out why ... wondering if maybe my door seal needs replacing). Anyway, much to my dismay, that hardened into a glaze-like creosote. I tried to break it down with this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-98-Lbs-Creosote-Remover/dp/B00120NNCY

but I just don't seem to be able to get it all. There's still a jet-black sheen over my entire firebox (although only 1mm thick, at most). I attached a couple of pics - you can see that while scraping I managed to get a few spots of bare metal to come through, so it's not thick at all. Here's my question, though: do I need to worry about this stuff, or can I just leave it be?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DaveBP

DaveBP Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Maine
    What make boiler is this? Is it shown disassembled in these photos?
  3. harttj

harttj Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I think your getting carried away. The first cold night will burn it all away. Maybe I'll take a pic of mine. Today is day 4 and I haven't opened the door yet. I did check the hopper yesterday and was happy with the amont left but it has been in the thirties and forties.

Tim
  4. danjayh

danjayh New Member

It's a CB Maxim M175. It is assembled in the photos.
  5. danjayh

danjayh New Member

OK. I thought that was probably the case, but the manual has such ominous sounding warnings about how creosote will trap moisture and rot the firebox that it just made me a little paranoid.

PS: I'd love to see some photos! Appreciate all the help you've given me!
  6. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    I don't believe I knew there were three stages of creosote buildup

*Googles creosote stages*

Neat! Some of the mechanical tools to remove stage 3 creosote look pretty medieval... like something you'd use to take barnacles off the bottom of a boat.
  7. Bob Rohr

Bob Rohr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Missouri

Another thing to consider a layer of creasote, or any build up inside the wall of the boiler will start to reduce the efficiency. experts claim a few thousands of an inch of buuild up inside HXers really starts to make a big difference in heat exchange.

Possibly some of it will burn off with a long hot fire.
  8. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    That powder is to burn in a fire, if anything the powder that puffs into the flue would be what you need. It will absorb the moisture from the glaze, neutralize and should turn anything into a residue that should come off easily. I believe it's called third stage remover. More than likely what's there should burn off once a good hot fire is produced.