Will burning green wood destroy my Hearth soapstone wood burning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Will burning green wood destroy my Hearthstone soapstone wood stove. How high of moisture in wood can I burn?
It certainly isn't good for the stove but probably won't destroy it. But the stove won't work well or give you proper btu output and you will most likely end up with lots of creosote buildup.

You want your wood to be 20% or lower.

Lol, the other answer is that it significantly increases the chances of destroying your home due to fire ms starting as chimney fires as a result of creosote build up.

If you're struggling with the wood supply, get some sawdust (only) logs, pallets, lumber cut offs, and mix those with wetter wood for a better average moisture content.

Also, get pine cut, split, stacked off the ground, and top covered now. It'll be good next season.
Also get maple, cherry, etc the same and it'll be good the year after that. Finally oak for the year after.
All this spring.
And then you'll only need to replenish what you burn one season each year, your wood will be dry, your stove function as you wish, and your home safer.

It certainly isn't good for the stove but probably won't destroy it. But the stove won't work well or give you proper btu output and you will most likely end up with lots of creosote buildup.

You want your wood to be 20% or lower.
Agree with everything here. You are going to want to split small, burn hot, and inspect/clean often.