Will I benefit from any radiant heat upstairs from internal chimney if liner is insulated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the stove to be efficient and safe but I also would like some of that heat from the liner, to heat the walls and room upstairs. Will I still get warmth, upstairs if insulated liner is used?

Highly unlikely. The job of the insulation to prevent heat getting past it. Even if the outside of the insulation is still a little warm, the mass of your chimney will dissipate that heat and not to where you want it either.

There are ways to get heat upstairs, use a fan to move the warm air towards the stairs, and a small fan on the floor at the top of the stairs to help move the cold air down the steps. It works really well. Lots of threads on the subject of getting warm air upstairs. You can do it. My insert is at the opposite end of the house from my stairs, and the heat does get there with the help of a couple of low wattage fans. KD

The purpose of an insulated liner is to keep the flue temp high enough to prevent cooling of the smoke gases. When flue temp is high enough creosote won't form as readily. If you want more heat radiating through the chimney then don't insulate it. However, be prepared for possible creosote problems and a weaker draft. It would be nice if we could have our cake and eat it too!! Doesn't work in this situation though.

If ALL SIDES of the chimney are inside the house you don't need the insulation UNLESS your chimney has code compliance issues. The house will do the job of the insulation for keeping the flue warm. No worries there. And the chimney will radiate more heat into the house. But, if you do not have a code-compliant chimney you MUST insulate the liner, eliminating your desired heat transfer to your room. Chances are you can get the heat from the stove if properly sized for your space and it won't matter that you won't get extra heat from the stack.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.